Skip navigation

My J Plate Sportline - Build Thread

Back to the top

My J Plate Sportline - Build Thread - Updates on last page

Well work has been CRAZY  :(  so not been on lately.

The Tax ran out on the golf just as the sun came out (typical!) but its all good, I am leaving it SORN for March and April  and plan is to get both bumper re sprayed, whole car paint corrected, decide which wheels I want to refurb, wet vac and clean whole interior finish fitting my rad cards from Shughy and be ready to tax it from the 1st May, I best get cracking lol !

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Sounds good Rich just remember to get the pics up  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Car had MOT this week, straight through, happy days ….

Well I have 3 weeks or so till I want to tax it on 1st May, so realised I better get my skates on!!! Got up early this morning and started cracking on with a few bits.

I am still waiting on a dings and dent guy to come round and quote me on taking few little trolley dents etc out here and there and also look at paint I want on front and back bumpers, but decided im going to sell on my current RM's and go back to a more standard look with 6.5j RM's so similar to the standard wheels with a twist

Ordered up 4 x 165 50 15 tyres this week so they should be here next week .

Also not sure if I am going to get car paint corrected on invest in a dual action polisher and have a go myself with some good product so then I can do the daily with the DA polisher as well etc

So Today

(1) - Test Fit wheels

What colour cap rings should I go for BLACK or SILVER ?? I a preferring black at the mo…….

Then whilst the wheels were off

(2) Clean inside wheels arches and paint rear drums

Before

During

After

Before

After

Before

After

Quick sort out of flaking red drums from a previous owner who had painted them

Before

After - Looks a bit rough in pic, but for the amount you see when wheel is on, I am happy till I get some new drums of powedercoat some

Then fitted stubby valves into the new wheels

Hopefully next updates should be:

(1) New RM's fitted with tyres
(2) Painted front and rear bumpers
(3) Whole car mopped over
(4) Taxed for 6 months ready for the show season  :)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Looking great.  Is that the original paint under the arches, or has it been painted before?   I think the black caps are nice, especially with the Gold BBS lettering.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Looking good Rich,keep up the good work.

Back to the top
those wheels look terrible, you best give them to me

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner

Back to the top
Good going Rich :-)

Black centres for me :-)

Bet you can't wait to get your wee list ticked off :D

Back to the top
Black centre caps look better, mine are silver and I prefer yours.

Love the new wheels by the way!

1991 Black Sportline 1.8 GTI Cabby - gone

1983 Papyrus Green 1.5 Auto GL Cabby - gone

1984 Nevada Beige MK2 Golf 1.6CL LHD Auto - gone

1981 Schwartz Black MK1 Golf 1600 GTI - gone

Currently Mk1less!

Back to the top
:thumbs :thumbs: :black for m :thumbs: e

Do it once and do it right! ok, we've identified the problem, lets not make it worse by guessing……… Identifying the sympton is not the same as understanding the cause :)

Back to the top
Tidy arches! What did you use to clean them?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Richard Hall said

Looking great.  Is that the original paint under the arches, or has it been painted before?   I think the black caps are nice, especially with the Gold BBS lettering.

Original Paint from what I can see mate, wont know paint on outside till I micron tested depth but i'm pretty certain its just the bumpers on mine that's had paint over time

Hairyarse said

Tidy arches! What did you use to clean them?

I had half a bottle of GUNK left in the garage and a can of foam up de greaser, sprayed that on, let it soak for a while then pumped up my bottle of TFR (traffic and film remover) gave them a coat with that, then used a brush and sponge to work stuff loose and rinsed. I went over a few hard stubborn bits with some white spirit, but next time wheels are off as I ran out of time I am gona try my autoglym rubber remover on the stubborn black bits left

All - Thanks for the comments getting there, just cant wait to re tax and get out on the road now the suns out !

1.8T CABBY

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

Bet you can't wait to get your wee list ticked off :D

We all love a list Chris !  :thumbs:

1.8T CABBY

Back to the top
So basically a lot of hard work then!  :lol: No short cuts but I might give my arches a bit of a clean up soon  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
In all fairness bar the jacking up and down, mines so low I have to jack up back and put on stand to be able to get jack under front! so that took the time!! the arches probably 20 mins each for cleaning  :)

1.8T CABBY

Back to the top
The only thing that I am good at with cars - cleaning :-)

Back to the top
Few pics from the 2013 season  

1.8T CABBY

Back to the top
RM's with tyres on and ready to go on when I have finished some other bits

1.8T CABBY

Back to the top
Looking good Mr Hill. New wheels and tyres look spot-on and nice work on the arches.

Back to the top
="Watson"Looking good Mr Hill. New wheels and tyres look spot-on and nice work on the arches.]

Thanks mate, getting there

You fancy Bristol Volksfest this year? its a great show, check out the link I have in the National Section

Cheers

Rich

1.8T CABBY

Back to the top
ok, so first thing was first, car was covered in layer of dust so gave it a quick clean Fri night

Then went and taxed it, and went of to get new wheels on, I've gone for new bolts all round and lockers, as my original bolts were not ideal for using with the RM's . Also I have some 20mm hub centric spacers on order for the rear wheels, which should be going on next weekend.

Its taking some getting used to the new looks as I've had my big dish ones on for so long, but I think this looks much more OEM and crisp ….. weird though , like it but still not 100% sure ……

I might even lower it a bit more now ? ? ….

Comments good and bad welcome

Last edit: by richyhill

1.8T CABBY
There are too many online users to list.