Skip navigation

GarytheGolf

Back to the top

GarytheGolf

Great to see some top coat pics Malcolm, and it looks a real nice finish too. Looking forward to seeing the whole car in top coat pics. Keep the updates coming.

Better get a trophy cabinet on your Christmas list :lol:

Back to the top

Back to the top
Quick work by the paint shop, looking great  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Visited the spray shop today on the way home, some progress this week. 2 wings, 2 doors and inside the bonnet done, they look much better than the pictures, bit of camera shake.

The doors originally had rust holes by the door lock pins. All repaired and welded up.

Apparently they will all be treated to a 1500, 2000 and 3000 mop.

In addition the body of the car has been blocked.  Hopefully some paint next week.

P1010728.jpg

P1010729.jpg

P1010730.jpg

P1010731.jpg

P1010732.jpg

Last edit: by Malcolm

Back to the top
During the week I acquired a tow bar for the Mk1. Didn't cost too much.

When it arrived, everything metal was rusty, the bumper bar had seen better days but the skin is reasonably straight.

P1020017.jpg

Had quite a nightmare dismantling, 6 of the 8 bolts sheared, thank god, and unfortunately the two I did not want to shear didn't.

This type of sockets is very handy to undo rusty nuts and bolts.

P1020018.jpg

Anyway the usual treatment, the towbar looks as new, I will focus on the bumper later.

De-rusted.

P1020008.jpg

Etch primed:

P1020012.jpg

Enamelled:

P1020014.jpg

P1020016.jpg

Back to the top
Was the camera shake from the excitement Malc??  :lol:

They all look great and the tow bar too  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Good work on the tow bar, it must have taken ages to get it from 'as bought rusty' to 'chrome' finish. Black finish looks nice. What are you planning on towing ?

Great to see some of the outer panels top coated at last, you must be well pleased.

Back to the top
Thanks for the comments, re the towbar, it was just an acquisition. I used to tow a 3 berth caravan with my first Mk1, my avatar.

I have a detachable towbar on my Mk6 for anything heavy.

Maybe the back end of a mk1!

I will need to clear some room soon for the car to come back in!

Back to the top
A nice surprise tonight, visited the spray shop, the car has been sprayed, all items are done apart from the polishing / mopping.

Could be headlining and windscreens in next week. Going to have to make some room in the Mancave.

P1020041.jpg

P1020042.jpg

P1020043.jpg

P1020044.jpg

P1020046.jpg

Back to the top
Pleased for you Malcolm. Its been a long time coming, but sure looks worth the wait. Gary looks real smart in his new coat ! Keep the updates coming.

Back to the top
Oh wow fantastic Malc!! That must have been a really nice surprise, it looks spot-on ;)

Are they fitting up all the panels for you or do you get that pleasure?

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
No!, No!, No!, they are fitting the panels for me.

They had pre fitted them with the new door seals before dismantling for the respray.

I am also getting them to fit a new headlining plus the front and rear screens, everything else is for me.

Back to the top
I'd love a towbar like that. Nice work so far. 

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top
Shells looking fantastic Malcolm, bet you can't stop grinning  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Been following this build a while, impressive stuff! Shell looks epic!  

Keep up the good work Malcolm!  :thumbs:

Back to the top

Malcolm said

No!, No!, No!, they are fitting the panels for me.

They had pre fitted them with the new door seals before dismantling for the respray.

I am also getting them to fit a new headlining plus the front and rear screens, everything else is for me.

Good stuff!! That's all the jobs I would want a body shop to do too, any scratches and it's there issue not yours!  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Thanks for all the comments, I can only take credit for selecting the spray shop!  I just hope the remaining items that I am responsible for will match the standard of the paint.

Today, I did not work on the Mk1 stuff at all.

I spent most of the day fitting a SATNAV to the Mk6 with a reversing camera.

SATNAV works OK. Camera comes out on reverse, no picture !, I'll sleep on it.

Back to the top
My visit to the spray shop this week revealed that some panel and body polishing had been carried out.

Most importantly we agreed a delivery date of Dec 6th!.

In addition, the hatch back had been fitted with a temporary fit of the rear windscreen to shape the new seal before fitting the whole thing with the chrome trim installed in the seal.

Also the wiring and rear wash piping had been installed before the new headlining goes in.

I have one issue though, maybe somebody can help. I stored the following short piece of wire with small connections on both ends with my hatchback bits.

The colour is white with a green stripe. Where does it go?

P1020052.jpg

On this occasion, I believe that the Haynes manual is incorrect as it suggests that this wire is within the dash area from the fuse box D16 to the heat rear window switch E15. I certainly did not remove it from there.

I need to find out before the headlining goes in. Any help would be much appreciated.

P1020059.jpg

On Saturday, I prepared the Mancave for Gary's reception.

P1020047.jpg

Problem is, is that he has got to get through that !!

I am hoping that the owner will be doing the necessary in time.

P1020050.jpg

Back to the top
 Hi mate, great build so far, you must be itching to get on with the rebuild now :). Is that wire off your heated rear screen as I remember removing something similar myself.

Back to the top
Hi, I believe that you might be right, I just cannot remember how it is supposed to go.

I will have to go to the spray shop and look again before they fit the head lining.  It's a pity the Haynes manual does not show it by the screen.
There are too many online users to list.