Skip navigation

1990 Cabriolet Conversion?

Back to the top
Im sure this has been covered enough times but i'm hoping for some advice on which way to go.  I have a 1990 Clipper Cabriolet and wanting to do a conversion on it. I like the idea of the VR6 but i understand its more of a ballache to do so i thought the AUQ 1.8T, but im wondering what gearbox to use as i want to use the series 1 clocks i have. From what i've read the 6 speed box wont take a speedo cable. Any info would be appreciated as im new to VW.

Back to the top
Wow nothing?
Maybe i should stick to Alfa Romeo.  :lol:

Back to the top
If you expect members to drop what they are doing and reply in 12 hours, perhaps you should,  no smiley face.

Back to the top
Well I didn't expect the world to stop no but you dropped what you were doing within 20 minutes to come back with a sarastic reply instead of help to a newbie.
I've personally helped out alot of people on other forums as best as i can and i'm happy to help and share what i know, it doesn't instill much confidence when this is my first post. so thankyou abfmk1, you are a real local hero arent you. No smiley face either!

Back to the top
Well I didn't expect the world to stop no but you dropped what you were doing within 20 minutes to come back with a sarastic reply instead of help to a newbie.
I've personally helped out alot of people on other forums as best as i can and i'm happy to help and share what i know, it doesn't instill much confidence when this is my first post. so thankyou abfmk1, you are a real local hero aren't you. No smiley face either!

Back to the top
Hi and welcome

Id take a look at the projects section and use the google search box on the upper left hand side that will pull up tons of stuff.
Engine conversions are a personal thing I think as there are so many variables depending on budget, skill set, and space. if you've got a big garage to work in and can do the work brilliant. If your'e paying someone else that's a different matter. Only limit there is your imagination and pocket.
One of the easiest and quickest I understand is the ABF conversion from a MK3 GTI. Doesn't need much adding.
Will give a power increase but I'm not sure how far you want to go. So I'd look at others projects to get an idea of what's involved, the ups and downs.
Maybe start your own build thread too. Be interesting to see what you opt for eventually.

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Hi chortle, thanks and thanks for the info thats a great help.
I will check that out and go from there. I dont want to do anything overly complicated to it but something pokey would be nice. I will do a build thread too  :)

Back to the top
Hello and welcome Simpleton5150, guide here for engine conversions  :thumbs:
Engine Conversions - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

What's wrong with the engine in the car?
Is it a carb or fuel injection as that will make a differance on bits you will need for a conversion.
Is it a job you are going to do or sending it away?

There is a lot of people on here that will and can help you but it does sometimes take time for a reply and as the post is really in the wrong section as most of the posts are about what's happening to your car and not questions, if others are like me and only really look at that chat part of the forum if I have time on my hands as I'm normally reading/reply in the technician section of the forum.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Hi and thanks mark1gls. I had a look at the conversion guide and theres alot of useful help there.
The engine in the car is a 1.8 8v and it is a runner but its not ticking over. Maybe a blocked jet but its a pierburg carb thats on it.
I did look into the weber route but as its not a crossflow head there is not much point to twin webers. Also from what i understand it could use the gti cam to free it up a bit more. I started thinking with what it would cost to do the mods to the existing engine maybe it would be better to throw it at a conversion instead. Either the ABF on twin webers or the AUQ. It is a project car for me so i dont have to rush anything.

I didnt realize that about the wrong section, i will see if i can get it moved.
Thanks for your help its much appreciated.

Back to the top
Well after some research on here and other places i decided to go for the AGU. We picked it up last weekend and have it sat in the garage now. I even managed to start the cabrio to move it aswell which was a surprise.
Need to start making a shopping list and when the weather is a bit milder i will start the process. 2016-02-13 16.17.34.jpg 2016-02-13 16.17.34.jpg 2016-02-13 16.17.34.jpg 2016-02-13 16.17.34.jpg

Back to the top
If there is an administrator in the house can you please delete my profile. Sold my cabbie now and i'm not getting another. Thanks
There are too many online users to list.