Skip navigation

83 Gti set to get full resto

Back to the top

My 83 Gti set to get full restoration

Cool, no worries dude :cool:

Back to the top
Andy you planning on putting any heat shielding in on the bulkhead? Those manifolds get mega hot  :o

Back to the top

smudger said

Andy you planning on putting any heat shielding in on the bulkhead? Those manifolds get mega hot  :o

Aye mate, I've got some of that dimpley ally stuff I'm going to use!!

Back to the top
Are you running epytec mounts Andy?

If so i had the same with mine.  What ever you do dont try and shut the bonnet or you will end up with a dent lol

I bolted my rear mount to the beam, then let it sit naturally after it didnt sit right. Basically i bolted it where i thought it should go, and it pulled it too far back.

Ended up moving it down 1 hole pitch.  Means that only 3 of the 4 holes have bolts in! 

May or may not help ;)

Back to the top
I am running epytec mounts Adz, before I bought the 02j I had an 02a which was slightly different and I had to cut the top hole off Al together to make it fit. With the 02j box I have now, I can only use 2 bolts (Because I lost the top hole)and if I moved it down another I would only have 1 bolt in O_o

I'm thinking of getting another rear mount and starting again.

Back to the top
Ah i see.  Had to modify mine by extending the bottom leg too.  Shame as the other mounts seemed ok.

Got an 02a on mine at the minute and it sits like this
C:\fakepath20150302_215133.jpg

But when i trial fotted with the 02j sat in a similar position.

Guess you may as well make your own dude ;)

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

smudger said

Aye mate, I've got some of that dimpley ally stuff I'm going to use!!

Melteddrummer no worries mate. I've got some spare if you need any let me know mate.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Nice one Andy, I will be needing more for my gear shifter underneath the car. Whatever you've got left, I'll buy off you mate :)

Back to the top
This is a great thread!  Will be really useful for my resto/conversion… thanks for taking all the detailed pics! and keep up the good work

Back to the top
Cheers :) No worries, Dave. If you need any help, give me a shout and I'll try my best. :thumbs:

Back to the top
Few little jobs done this morning.

Built the 100mm drive shafts up with new GKN Lobro cv joints.

Fitted the M/C to the servo with a new bottle.

Bought another GolfGTI badge and rubbed the silver off to match the black Volkswagen badge.

Also bought a Vagabonds lower strut brace and painted it green to match my ARB's

That's it for today :)

Back to the top
Liking the lower strutt brace.

You're going for the stealthy look with the rear badges then! lol

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Aye mate, stealthy badges ftw ;)

Back to the top
all coming together nicely andy, looks great  :thumbs:

Back to the top
It was mate but it seems the epytec mounts need altering. The engine is jammed in towards the o/s bulkhead so I need to chop my mounts to make it fit. Drivers side mount and gearbox mount are both at the end of their travel on the slotted holes :o

Back to the top
Well I've made a start on the engine mounts. I'm just doing one mount at a time so I can leave the engine in.

I started with the gearbox mount, the engine needs to move to the n/s by 5mm to give me more clearance on the aux belt which is currently 1mm away from the chassis leg.  In the first pic you can see the marks I've made, the mount needs to move 10mm in two directions, so out came the grinder :ninja:

Mount removed from brkt

And welded in it's new position :)

Had to bend one leg in so I could still use the bolt hole.

That's it for now peeps, just hope it works lol

Back to the top
Nice welding Andy #3  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Drivers side mount has now been altered so the engine can move forward 10mm to match the gearbox side. I had to make 4 new slotted holes in the mounting plate and re-weld the mount to the plate. Hope to have it all back together at the weekend.

All welded up, etch primed and a couple of top coats

Back to the top
Another small update.

Finished altering the engine mounts and the engine is now where I want it. I now have clearance at the steering boot which was touching the DP before and I now have clearance where the auxiliary belt tensioner was touching the chassis leg :party:  Hopefully I can now get on with putting the car together :lol:

here's some pics,

Happy days :cool:

Back to the top
Nice work Andy  :thumbs: annoying when standard parts that should fit, don't  :o

Now crack on!!
There are too many online users to list.