Skip navigation

Problem with MK1 Cabrio.

Back to the top
Hi!
I'm asking around if someone could help me with my Mk1 Cabrio. I've had it  for many years and every now and then a mysterious problem turns up; the car shuts down in the mittle of driving or it shakes back and forth very fast and won't drive normal. Then also when the engine is running in neutral the gas "goes up and down" (don't know how to say it) and does not run smoothly.
It's pretty much original in engine parts etc. just done some patching up when needed.
Car details: VW Golf Mk1 Cabrio 1990, 1.8L, ID code- 2H Digijet. It seems to be very hard to find a repair shop that knows anything about old VW's in my country and now I'm stuck with this problem :/ any ideas what parts should be changed?

Thanks! 🙏

Back to the top
Welcome. Essentially you have the engine that was fitted in the mk2 golfs. In the UK very few of the late cabbies got this engine, just some late Rivages, so there is not much knowledge in this group on them. rubjonny would be able to help though.

This is a great thread on the mk2 site for setting up and diagnosing issues. It usually comes down to the temp sensors failing.
https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=141.0

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Hi,
Great, thanks! I will definitely have a look and try to find some info there. 👌☺️

Br,
Seve

Back to the top
Vacuum leaks
The Blue CTS sensor on water outlet flange
then if your fuel pumps are making more than a little noise like a constant whine, then replace the in-tank pump.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.