Skip navigation

all you 1600 GTI chaps - Fuel pump priming??

Back to the top

all you 1600 GTI chaps - Fuel pump priming??

after some recent talking with Wellsy and Crazyquiff about my hot starting issue (which seems to be due to the fuel pressure dropping completely as soon as I switch the engine off)

it seems that the 1800 GTI fuel pump primes for 3 seconds when the ignition is switched on, but my 1600 doesn't do this  :?

I know the fuel pump is good is it's new, but would like to know from other 1600 owners if your fuel pump primes when you turn the ignition on?

or if this is a difference between the early and late series 2 electrics (although Crazyquiff's Cabby doesn't prime either which would suggest this isn't the case)

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
I think its a difference between 1600 and 1800 (different electrics) although so long since I started mine :( . My 1600 primes when you switch to the final stage of the ignition i.e you hear it prime when starter first spins. My mate's (posts as Boogaloo on here) 1800 seems to prime twice with just the ignition on :dontknow:

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
cheers markwon, definately think that's the case

I replaced the check valve that's in front of the pump (which was broken) so just need to check the pressure again.. hasn't fixed the hot starting though so on to more expensive parts now by the look of it  :cry:

Back to the top
ive had the same problem with my 1800.checked the injectors and replaced the accumulator, no difference.Then borrowed a new fuel pump from a mate, which seems to have solved the problem.Even though the pump was priming no fuel was reaching the metering head.Can only conclude that there was some issue with the pressure produced by the pump,even though it sounded perfectly healthy.and the car would start fine from cold.

1983 lhasa green GTI
1982 lemon yellow CL

Back to the top
:? hope it's not that, brought it new from VW last year and only done around 6000 miles on it

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.