Skip navigation

What did you do to your MK1 today?

Back to the top

What did you do to your MK1 today?

PICKLE said

Hairyarse said

Nice mod that!  :thumbs:

IM SURE THERE IS I HAVE HAD IT BACK TO HIM TWICE BUT HE IS A REALY NICE GUY  I DONT WANT THE CONFRONTATION WITH HIM.  SO I DECIDED TO TAKE IT TO SOMEBODY HOW IS WELL KNOW ,HAVING THE TOP COAT FLATED BACK AND THE DOOR DENTS REPAIRED   HOPEFULLY WILL LOOK PUCKER

Hope so

By the way, if you didn't know BLOCK CAPITALS in a forum means your shouting!  :lol:  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Painted the bloody thing :ocf_emoticons__icon_biggrin:

Back to the top

Got it ready to come home :ocf_emoticons__icon_lol:

Back to the top
Been meaning to do this for a while, took Martha the Mk1 out for a cpl of pics with the rest of the family cars, neighbours think we're weird owning five white veedubs, maybe we are but who cares, it wasn't really planned that way just the way it's worked out but do love em in white !,  my mk1 GTI, daughters mk2 GTI, wifes Caddy, other daughters Polo GTI and the Rocco when we want a bit more comfort lol.

Back to the top
After installing the '80s Blaupunkt PARIS stereo cassette and discovering one of the front speakers was duff, replaced the 30+ year old Pioneers with new JVC 4x6s in the GTI. Cheaper than the Alpines I put in the Cabrio but still a tight squeeze fitting as they are deeper than the Pioneers.  I got some of the pressed metal nuts the other week and put them somewhere safe, couldn't find them to add to the existing 2….. doh

'70s not '80s but ideal for a MK1 with tape player;

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
hubbadubba  ^^^^ That's brilliant mate!  :cool:  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

hubbadubba  ^^^^ That's brilliant mate!  :cool:  :thumbs:

Thanks Hairy, appreciated

Back to the top
I drove her to work, ordered loads of servicing parts and I'm counting down the days until I have a morning off (saturday) to give her a clean and hoover.

Lee H '77 GLS, 5 door, bronze // Trek  X-Caliber 5

Back to the top
Just trial fitted this head unit. The grey facia is a bit too big for the dashboard but I might just have to live with it as I'd rather not butcher anything!! C:\fakepath\image.jpg

Back to the top
Fitted these too….. C:\fakepath\image.jpg

Back to the top
Fitted  new bumpers to my Mk1 GL, really pleased with the out come, couldn't find a company that does bumpers with the chrome surrounds as on the CL,GL models however I bought a roll of trim on Ebay and stuck it on in the usual place,looks great and one happy man.

Back to the top
Long weekend 528 mile road trip to New Forest and Isle of Wight to meet up with friends and relations;

Was fun driving on the unlit IoW roads at night with the standard MK1 headlights…. otherwise the car ran really well but the recently adjusted gear linage needs revisiting.

Back to the top
Upgraded headlight loom needed?

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
There were mitigating circumstances, patches of thick fog meant I couldn't use main beam as it just glared back. Also two extra passengers in rear meant the headlights were pointing much higher then normal.

I think if it was my daily driver I would look into upgrading the wiring loom.

Back to the top
Previous owner chromed some items in the 16V engine bay, not to my taste so I painted the tappet cover with VHT Wrinkle Plus last weekend. Tappet cover and pencil coil setup is going into my ABF GT next weekend.

Before:

After:

1983 Golf GT 2.1 16V with throttles/1978 Golf LS 2.1 ABF with throttles/2008 Citi Storm 1.4i/2007 Hyundai Getz - my daily

Back to the top
Fitted and tested on the ABF, need to tidy up the wiring a bit more.

1983 Golf GT 2.1 16V with throttles/1978 Golf LS 2.1 ABF with throttles/2008 Citi Storm 1.4i/2007 Hyundai Getz - my daily

Back to the top
Try to get my water temperature gauge working in my serie one dash.
After a first try with the original sensor no luck.
Made a aluminium look a like with a sort mk1 switch still no luck.
Buy a longer one but it wasn't my day……..
So i did some test and it works fine whit out the instrument voltage stabilizer  ;)
So we need a new one hope to fit it next week  :cool:

Here you can see the difference between a old switch and new type all in boiling water.

Back to the top
:ninja: just got back from working in israel for 2 weeks, both my cabbies have been treated to new parts, the leech(F199AEL) has had head skimmed and new rad fitted... the caster(K976 ERP) IS under going major MOT prep works at vag auto services lincoln with gareth..so will pick one up, and visit the patient...see if condition of neglect and unloved is improving. :thumbs:

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshi£ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top
I brightened up my dash.  Replacing the old '286' bulbs with LEDs.  I can now see how fast I am going!

Butleraw '83 Schwarz Black GTI

Back to the top
I bought one  :thumbs:(well Sunday just gone)

But it's gone into storage for winter now.

Last edit: by mk1 daz

There are too many online users to list.