Skip navigation

What did you do to your MK1 today?

Back to the top

What did you do to your MK1 today?

Hairyarse said

That's going to look really good I think BIGNICKC - looking forward to the finished pics ;)

Thanks, my friend.  :thumbs:

I got two thirds of the way thru it, yesterday. Then decided to show a friend some grubby g60 brakes and couldn't find any wipes to clean my hands! :lol: 

Back to the top

BIGNICKC said

Started lining the back. 

I cant help but like everything you you do with your golf! I hope I get the chance to see it in the flesh one day  :thumbs:

'83 1.3 Golf Driver GT - Project thread
Instagram - matt.semp

Back to the top

mazza411 said

BIGNICKC said

Started lining the back. 

I cant help but like everything you you do with your golf! I hope I get the chance to see it in the flesh one day  :thumbs:

Thanks bro!  :thumbs:

She's an acquired taste. :lol:

Looking forward to some shows next year,hopefully see you around? 

Back to the top
Yeah its different but in a good way!  :lol:
Yeah ill hopefully male a few shows next year so ill look out for your car  :)

'83 1.3 Golf Driver GT - Project thread
Instagram - matt.semp

Back to the top
Purchased a new Ashley stainless manifold, had to replace clutch due to oil seepage from crank seal, (2nd clutch this year: thanks TSR!!!), replacing my new fuel lines due to heat damage from stainless exhaust, fitted new VW standard steering rack (that's a venture I shan't undertake again) general prep for MOT

Looking forward to getting a drive in the revised steering car and maybe even get rid of the stutter it has had since the ABF lump was fitted.

Back to the top

Kenneth Cartwright said

Kenneth Cartwright said

Moved the leech closer to the garage…needs to be de-seated and speakers wired in. Sadly 3 door cards  don't fit my error.. Visited the caster with presents..New master cylinder courtesy of retford auto spares now fitted and liquids added..now wheels stop turning….1 step closer to its first mot since 2012.. possibly may visit a petrol station for pre mot go go juice. Log book arrived today. 24th Nov I bought the caster…15th Dec. .. still on car lift. New discs.pads.brake hoses.new master cylinder.new wipers, Filters all round, Two wishbones,adjustable coilovers,Bearings all round.speedo cable and gear. 10 litres of go go juice to keep him ticking over keep him warm…

yesterday …ordered new injector lines, recieved a new old 4 button steering wheel. another of seat guides,  recieved bad news that emissions are still high on the "caster"so no MOT for my birthday, so now gonna transport him to these guys,who help get the Leech through his MOT in august..http://lincolnautodiagnostics.co.uk/

well that's the MOT passed, now trying to get through to the DVLA   to tax my "caster" so i can drive him legally home. After three phone calls and then trying online, i think i'll just have to go and drive home, again thats driving a unnecessary amount in a untaxed car, so I can swap cars and go to post office to get it taxed, no wonder people hate the DVLA.

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshi£ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top
The Sun was out… and despite it being cold… I popped on hat, gloves and scarf and took her for a drive and a coffee :thumbs:

1990 - Cabriolet GTI 1.8 (DX)

Back to the top
Yesterday took the dog and wife into lincoln shopping..pets at home and asda . .today drove to south Hykeham to paint sprayers for quote on scratch and door repairs. With a quote for ronals refurbishment.. All in the caster..  

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshi£ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top
Got some winter tires/steelies… now I can work on polishing the summer wheels

bronze_zpsa6ede075.png

Back to the top
My mate let me use his workshop (with car lift) while he's on leave so I swapped in a short ratio gearbox with LSD/4.25 final drive into my ABF GT along with a button clutch and new driveshafts with CV joints. The custom gearbox that was specifically built for sprints gives me 30km/h/1000rpm in 5th with nicely spaced ratios, I'm shocked at how quick I can get to the redline in 4th now, ideal for q/mile sprints. Pulling off requires some concentration now as the combination of button clutch and super light weight flywheel makes it easy to stall the car - touch wood I only managed it once so far…

I also fitted a new lightweight battery in the spare wheel well and replaced all my battery/starter/ground cables with new 25mm2 welding cables. My old battery that was fitted under the passenger seat battled to turn the engine over when hot and at a replacement cost of R3500 (about £200) I opted for something cheaper.

Previous owner of the car that the gearbox came from built it for 'show' as well as 'go', hence the chrome plating:

1983 Golf GT 2.1 16V with throttles/1978 Golf LS 2.1 ABF with throttles/2008 Citi Storm 1.4i/2007 Hyundai Getz - my daily

Back to the top
I took my car down to the Classic Cars on the Prom in Bournemouth.  A bit cold and a bit damp, but a good way to start the year.

Butleraw '83 Schwarz Black GTI

Back to the top
Looks a good meet and your MK1 looks spot-on as always  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Cleaned and tested AAV
Cleaned rad expansion tank
Flushed cooling system and new housing seals
New fuel filter
prepped and painted radiator fan housing ready for new rad to go in tomorrow morning

lhasa green 83 gti tintop MOT passed Aug '14 after nearly 12 years!
Audi A6 3.0 tdi Avant Quattro Le Mans 305bhp 

Back to the top

bronze_zpsa6ede075.png

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Looks a good meet and your MK1 looks spot-on as always  :thumbs:

Thank Andy.  It was a good meet.  Unfortunately I was the only mk1 there.

Butleraw '83 Schwarz Black GTI

Back to the top
Picked this up for $50…  brand new in the box…. a suede Nardi wheel

bronze_zpsa6ede075.png

Back to the top
$50 is a bargain, that's a really nice wheel MrPapageorgio !

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Dusted off the GTI

went for a drive

Put in some fuel and drove some more!!

Tucked away in the garage

lhasa green 83 gti tintop MOT passed Aug '14 after nearly 12 years!
Audi A6 3.0 tdi Avant Quattro Le Mans 305bhp 

Back to the top
I replaced my engine cooling fan on my 1983 GTi with a twin speed one from a late MK2. It was a simple swap as I obtained the fan loom and radiator switch from the MK2 as well. Plug and play.

Sticker Pig

Back to the top
I had the engine "Terracleaned" today, I also had the Injection manifold cleaned at the same time.

I am pleased with the results so far, the car is running a lot smoother. I will be keeping an eye on the fuel economy to see what improvements i get.
Andy
There are too many online users to list.