Now in its sixteenth year, the dedicated Annual Gathering for the MK1 Golf Owners Club is to be held at Stratford Upon Avon Racecourse. The weekend will be a gathering of the members and users of the best MK1 Golf club around, together with a variety of attractions, camping facilities, entertainment and trade stands, so we hope you have a weekend to remember. The usual attractions will be on hand. The club's AGM for the 1600 plus paid members amongst you, the Saturday afternoon road rally (and free commemorative grille badge), a fancy dress disco on Saturday evening, followed by the main event on Sunday. Sunday will see the largest group of Mk1 Golfs displayed in the same place in the UK. Show and Shine categories will be available for entrants to display their cars in. Club merchandise will be available to buy (without postage costs!). Food stalls, auto jumble and trade stands will all be on hand to help the day pass by.
The programme of events will be as follows (subject to change).
Friday 24th July
- 09:00 Gates open for campers and helpers
- 19:00 - 00:30 Evening entertainment
Saturday 25th July
- 08:00 Gates open
- 10:30 - 10:45 Mk1 Golf car rally drivers brief.
- 10:45 - 12.00 AGM - All paid members welcome, "have your say" see forum for agenda. Non-paid members can attend but not vote.
- 13:00 Drivers start your engines and respect the site speed limit. (At least 1/2 a tank of fuel is required)
- 19:00 - 00:30 Evening entertainment
Sunday 26th July
- 09:00 Gates open
- 09:00 Show n shine field opens. Make sure you display your judging sheet in a prominent position
- 11:00 Judging commences, please make sure you're entered
- 14:00 The raffle is drawn - Have your ticket ready!
- 14:30 Peoples' Choice Car award - stand by your favourite car
- 15:00 Show n Shine + awards presentations
- 17:00 Show closes - Start vacating the events field
- 17:00 - 20:00 all volunteers to help tidy the site are welcomed
- 21:00 Vacate field fully
For those of you who are paid members. This is your chance to meet the committee, hear what the club has achieved over the last 12 months and where we think it will go over the next year. We will be discussing finance, membership subscription, events, the website itself and merchandise. This will be your opportunity to have your say and ask the burning question that has been on your mind!
The current committee will stand for re-election.
We look forward to seeing you at the meeting. There may be some questions that can't be answered there and then, and a reply can be made on the forum if necessary.
Once again we will be having a drive out on the Saturday afternoon.
The route details will be confirmed on the day.
Last years drive out was attended by over 100 cars!
This year we will leave the Racecourse around 1.00 pm on Saturday 25th July.
It must be stressed that this rally is not a race, and any drivers who do exceed the speed limit or commit Road Traffic Act offences do so at their own risk and to other road users. The Club will not be held responsible for your actions.
Our fantastic Saturday evening entertainment will be held in the "club house" and will consist of a DJ and Fancy Dress.
To be in with a chance of winning a prize, why not enter the Show and Shine? Make sure you park in the main field to be included in the judging.
The categories are:
- Top Three Standard
- Top Three OEM+
- Top Three Modified
- Best Wheels
- Best Interior
- Best Paintwork
- Best Commercial
- Best Daily Driver
(Note that you cannot win a trophy with the same car in the same category two years running) With special awards for:
- Peoples' Choice
- Best Engine Bay - Walter Ainsworth Award
- Best GTI - Campaign Jerry Award
- Best Standard Hatchback - Keith Keenan Award
- Best in Show
- Best Regional Display
- Member of the Year