Skip navigation

76 Golf Resto

Back to the top

76 Golf Resto

Here she is - what a beauty!

The bodywork is pretty good throughout, except for the passenger footwell, and the front panel, which is very rotten.

Plans are to complete the strip (not really much left to be honest!), restore the bodywork and respray it the same colour, then drop in a poky engine of some description, plus one seat and a roll cage, and lower it until it looks like my red one.

Can't wait  :mrgreen:

Rich

Back to the top
What a cracker! Love the swallowtail  8)

Keep us up to date on the progress

'83 Mk1 Gti

'97 Mk3 Gti Daily hack

Back to the top
I hope you two are good together! Enjoy Rich  :D Just need to fill the gap now  :wink:

Banner

Back to the top
She is a beauty for sure. Love some of the early non GTI colours!  :D

Back to the top
Looks really solid. Nice find. I like the idea of a porker engine in there :D Just make sure it is a blown one :wink:

Megasquirted 1981 Silver 1600 GTI Daily Driver

Still Restoring...

Back to the top
Thanks Rajan - I owe you one ;) I bet it's not long before you get another one either :lol:

I love the pastel shades they used to do too, although the yellow is definitely my favourite. And I'd love to put a boxer engine I must admit, but this shell is too good to chop about for a rear-drive conversion.

The next Golf I do (a few years away unless I win the lotto) will be RWD though. The fun you could have with a 3.0l turbo…  8)

Rich

Back to the top
Is there anywhere that has some swatches of the original pastel colours? I'm looking at getting a respray soon and quite fancy one of them although am undecided on which one.

Still Restoring...

Back to the top
nice mk1 man... look forward to this restore... I want one

Madone with the two Cabs 82 (UK RHD) and 85 (US LHD) (92 sold)

Back to the top
good god, this is literally my absolute dream car, this is what i would love to have but cant afford, so i have an 83 big light in a similar colour.
mate shes gna look a beauty!

very weird to look at those pictures cos i keep thinking its mine for a split second as the colour is so similar…well now its slightly blackened!

keep up the resto pics, will be amazing!
and lots of luck
Josh

Back to the top
stunning old chap, even in that state  :notworthy:

Back to the top
8)

think you'll need to put 2 seats in though, you'll be taking me for a spin when it's finished  :wink:

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top

PhillTMK1GTI said

8)

think you'll need to put 2 seats in though, you'll be taking me for a spin when it's finished  :wink:

Of course - silly me!!!

Thanks to all for the kind words - the resto will begin in a month or so, once I've moved house, so watch this space!

Rich

Back to the top

woZa said

Is there anywhere that has some swatches of the original pastel colours? I'm looking at getting a respray soon and quite fancy one of them although am undecided on which one.

I'll answer my own question in case anyone finds it useful…

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary

Still Restoring...

Back to the top
obcene amount of potential there mate…8) Love the colour!

I want to see it very low.

and without any kind of suitcases/wicker work in sight.

Otherwise I will shoot you.  

In the back.

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
Damnit - I was just going to nip up into the loft and retrieve my old skateboard and a picnic hamper from 1937 ;)

Back to the top

woZa said

woZa said

I'll answer my own question in case anyone finds it useful…

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary

Nice find!

Rich

Back to the top
nice mate would love a swallowtail.
Did it come with little chrome bumpers aswell ??

83 MK1 GTI G60 85 MK2 GTI 20VT 2004 SEAT ALTEA 2.0 TDI SPORT

Back to the top
Unfortunately not :(

It's literally the shell, the glass, and some suspension. I need to source everything else…

I've got a cunning plan up my sleeve for the bumpers, but fitting them is a long way off!

Rich

Back to the top
It's been a while since I did anything to this, but last weekend I finally got some storage sorted, and together with my trusty co-pilot (sitting on top of a small table as there's no seats)

I got both cars under cover…

Roll on Christmas when I'll have some time to get cracking again  :D

Rich

Back to the top
look the cars are playing hide and seek!!!  :lol:

Madone with the two Cabs 82 (UK RHD) and 85 (US LHD) (92 sold)

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.