Skip navigation

Indicators failing after Instrument removal and refit

Back to the top

Indicators failing after Instrument removal and refit

I wanted to post this up as it seems a common problem that no one posts the solution to after they fix it.

Basically, i had no dash lights so pulled out cluster to check the bulbs turned out to be the circuit board so rewired the bulbs in, anyway i digress.

On refitting the dash when i switched the ignition back on the indicator warning light was glowing dimly, on switching the indicators it lights up bright but the indicators do not light up at all. The hazards work perfectly with the indicator stalk in any position.

I noticed then that with indicators on the warning light goes out completely, also an email from a memeber said they thought it may have been this, without the hazard switch attached it remains faulty.

ANYWAY i digress further,

Placing the hazard switch halfway so it doesnt quite switch the hazards on fixes the fault so replacing the hazrd switch should fix the problem, i have a friend who says otherwise but only tried old switches and as this seems common fault i believe a brand new item will cure it. Even so having the switch at half mast so to speak isnt much of a problem!

Will update when i eventually get a new switch but felt like the answers to these faults were not reported on at least four occassions on this site, if people have any extra info please correct me!

Many Thanks

Crags

Back to the top
nice one mate sorted mine straight out

Back to the top
Craggle

Just the job mate! that is fantastique! How on earth did you discover that, sorted mine out right away too!

Matti

1982 1.8 GTI Mars Red

Back to the top
Well it was just me messing around and noticed that the gaps in the flash of the hazards the light went out completely, a couple of people mentioned it could be the hazards god knows what made me think half switching it would help, but alas i think in that moment of clarity I have solved a good few mk1 owners  problems!!

:D  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
ps do not be led to believe there was any ingenuity on my part, pure fluke im afraid haha!!

Back to the top

craggle said

ps do not be led to believe there was any ingenuity on my part, pure fluke im afraid haha!!
                                                                                                                                                                                                                    well what a good fluke hazard switch at half mast an hey what do you know my indicaters work again . been pulled twice in last 3 weeks for not indicating ha ha no more cheers craggle good man if i try new switch before you ill let you know

Back to the top
So I still havent got round to changing the switch as my car hasnt been back to the UK since i bought it, if anyone tries it please update this post!!

Clutch has gone now so all manner of new problems, didnt realise how easy it is to drive without a clutch though!! 8O

Back to the top
after reading through the above posts am i to believe that my indicators not working is to do with the hazzard switch and if i replace said switch they should in theory work again ?? :)

Back to the top
after reading through the above posts am i to believe that my indicators not working is to do with the hazzard switch and if i replace said switch they should in theory work again ??

Certainly worth a pop mate. I haven't replaced my yet, it's still in the 'half-on' position described earlier, but that works for me. Of course, there could be other reasons why your indicators aren't working, but it's an easy place to start.

1982 1.8 GTI Mars Red

Back to the top
yeee they work in the half on/off position but im gonna be taking it for an mot soon so i should get it fixed really !!! going scrappy on saturday to see if i can find another switch !!! fingers crossed !!! going to check the fuses too as my rear numberplate lights have kicked the bucket too !!!

Back to the top
ahhaha just ran out and did that to mine and it works now

hahah top mannnn

Back to the top
Folks - Those of you who's indicators work when the hazard switch is at halfway and not at other times would do well to check fuse no 19.  By positioning the switch halfway, you are changing the feed to the indicator switch from the hazard switch from the ignition live (15, blue&black wire) to the permanent live (30, Red&white wire).  Inside the switch, this changeover occurs before the connecting of the hazard circuit.
Basically, there is nothing wrong with the hazard switch, only the ignition live feed to it - this is usually 'cos the fuse has gone!  Check if there is 12v at the blue&black wire going into the hazard switch with the ignition switched on and if not, trace back from here (usually to the blown fuse!) - lot cheaper and less hassle than a new switch!

Back to the top
Excellent advise. Mine was the fuse (no 19). After hours of searching and a "new" switch. Turned out to be the supply to the switch. Thanks.

Back to the top

Worked for me

Cheers guys, after taking my dash panel out the indicators stopped, spent a while looking for problem, then read this post - fuse no. 19!!!

Back to the top
works now mine was fuse 19 thanks mate.

WHITE MK1 GOLF CLIPPER 1980

Back to the top
ive just taken my hazzard switch apart,ive cleaned all the slider contacts up and spade pins and still no joy,the only thing i can see that could be faulty now is the resistor soldered 2 the spade pins,any tried replacing this, instead of buying a new one?

Back to the top

badvdub said

ive just taken my hazzard switch apart,ive cleaned all the slider contacts up and spade pins and still no joy,the only thing i can see that could be faulty now is the resistor soldered 2 the spade pins,any tried replacing this, instead of buying a new one?

Whats your actual symptoms? Have you checked fuse 19?

89 Clipper Cab 20v (97% done!)
97 Peugeot Expert (daily, £510 off of ebay!)
06 Audi A3 (Wifes daily)

Back to the top
my hazard switch is faulty,works in half position.just thought id have a go at fixing the switch,looks to me like only the resistor can be at fault so gonna try replace it and see what happens =)

Back to the top
i love search.

this is the best bit of info ive seen for ages. would i have found this earlier it would of saved me about 4-5 hours of trouble shooting, new hazard switch and relay.

thanks to all who commented on this post. cant believe it was just a fuse. mine was so slightly snapped i thought it looked fine. replaced it anyway and job done wooo.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.