Skip navigation

1.8t with solid flywheel

Back to the top

Knocking noise

Hello fellow mk1 owners.
I have a agu 1.8t in my mk1 running a 5 speed o2j gearbox and a lighted & balance solid flywheel.
I'm just wondering if they are normally noisy. Knocking sound and if I blip the throttle it knocks. I have just replaced it because I had one fail so I want to make sure it's normal for them to be noisy or if not then I need to get the box of before any damage is done.

Any help or advice would be great 👍.

Kind regards

Back to the top
Hi, it might be a fraction noisier but the knocking does not sound right at all (& whether it's the flywheel is another thing). I'm sure others will come along with more knowledge than me shortly

I just sold my mk2 with agu/02j which wasn't noisy & it was stripped out so would have noticed

Back to the top
Great 🤔😕 sound like its box off then to be on safe side.  This is my second solid flywheel now because the first one can off. Hopefully this one isn't attempting the same.

Back to the top
What was the issue with the first flywheel? Were the flywheel bolts torqued up to spec, thread lock used?

Last edit: by Cushti

Back to the top
Yes it was and this time jbs in Chesterfield fitted this one.  I supplied but they fitted it so I'm guessingthis one was done correctly.

Back to the top
Just done a quick search & there does seem to be a lot of chat about it being a lottery in getting a noisy or quiet lightened flywheel. A little chatter, vibration and/or extra noise will be fine but I don't think any 'knocking' sounds should exist (engine mount?).

Mine might have been fine as it was just a normal G60 smf

Back to the top
It's just strange and it's when I blip the throttle. Thanks for looking into it. When I finish work today I'll check again to see what it's like. I don't know if I'm just paranoid or if it is coming loose again. But if it is then why 🤔.

Back to the top
Take it out put dual mass back in
I made mistake 6 yr ago with t5 transporter wrecked recon gearbox in 5k miles as the gearbox needs the damper from dual mass cost me £750 for gearbox case it smashed the bearing damaged case

My crafter just being done I put dual back in never again put solid in

Back to the top
Flipping eck that's not good. Well I took the cap of the gearbox the one on top & put a screw driver inn and I'm sure there is movement. Not good 🙁.

Back to the top
As say I learned hard way no van 3 weeks  and broke gearbox Casing  
I thought was going be Better with solid but I was so wrong
Was advised after it broke gearbox that they need dual mass to cushion gearbox

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6745 using Tapatalk

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.