Skip navigation

VW Golf MK1 1979

Back to the top

Project: Life after Death

Hi guys. I just found this mk1 forum..something that i was looking a long time. Since i'm into cars and not into computers you'll understand why it took me so long to find you :)So, i have MK1 from 1979 from my grandpa and i want to restore it since it's a bit rusty. Also i miss some parts wich i can't find them in my country so if you want to help me with them i would be gratefull and will engrave your names under the hood ;)Here is the car… i need your advices, suggestions and also comments. It will be red as well. My plan is not to follow gti version but i want something like 1.8L engine without turbo. Steel wheels no aluminium for now… so, Pictures

and the precious sticker :)

This is for now, if someone can help me around it with it's expierence and parts i will post later what i need for now :)Hope i'll find you verry helpfull ;)Cheerz

also forgot to mention that i own subaru inpreza 1.8 4wd and i am trying to find a way to put that engine and drivetrain on this baby…do you think it's possible? or just the engine without drivetrain?

Last edit: by MKD_Mk1

VW GOLF MK5 / VW GOLF MK1 Owner

Back to the top
Hello welcome to the club . Nice car   would be a shame to alter it by doing a conversion . But I'm sure that it has been done so maybe do a Google search abd something might turn up ..

Mk1 2l TSR G60.  .getting. There twice as fast

Mk1 lhd diesel…….getting. There for half the cost

Back to the top
Hi there. yeah it's done before, and all i've found is couple of drag races on youtube…nothing else unfortunatly…but that's plan b since i can't find proper plan for it (or how it's made)…

Back to the top
Welcome along to the forum. Nice car. If it were me i would refurb and keep it original but up to you mate.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Smudger

Back to the top
Thanks Smudger. I saw your thread. just love the car. I have a regular daily driver (MK5 1.4). this one i like to be once in a week driver and with more power :) not 500hp but 110-120hp would be enough :) no turbos no fancy stuff.. just a regular car with 13" 7j rims on it..

little update:

Back to the top
A nice project mate. Let us know how you get on. We all love a good pic update :)

Smudger

Back to the top
Ok. Let's face the reallity..

Rusty things, many many parts that are not gonna be used again, car is now naked… :) maybee someone of you will say it's too rusty, it's not worthed but it is for me..it's love and it's in the family since 1979…aaaand i don't plan to sell it..maybee my son or grandson ;)

Enjoy in my rusty friend :

Today pictures :)

Bumpers are out

Rust Rust Rust Rust

New parts are ordered from serbia since i can't find in macedonia one single piece for it :(

Healty parts

not so bad as it looks :)

Also bought new and will be replaced

This is bad. the gas pipe is in very bad condition. any suggestions for modification from other car? I can;t find the original anywhere…

Interior remains :)

The carpet is in very good shape and i will use it again.. the door carpets also very good but i am thinking of selling them cuz i will make custom ones

and one for the end :) VW CLUB MACEDONIA and the precious WORTHERSEE sticker ;)

So, that is for now :) hope you are following and supporting me :)

Back to the top
Hello and welcome to the forum. Nice little series 1 you have there :)  after looking at the pics you posted, it doesn't look too bad, definitely repairable. Good luck with the restoration, I'll keep my eye open for series one parts for you BUT, I need to inform Smudger of any S1 parts first as he is restoring one too!

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Hello and welcome to the forum. Nice little series 1 you have there :)  after looking at the pics you posted, it doesn't look too bad, definitely repairable. Good luck with the restoration, I'll keep my eye open for series one parts for you BUT, I need to inform Smudger of any S1 parts first as he is restoring one too!

Good man. Much obliged matey  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Thank you Melted… looking forward for some parts that smudger allready has :) thank you for your support i will keep you informed for every single move around the car :)) Feel free to post some manuals, videos, tactics or else

cheerz

Back to the top
Hi Guys… recently i've bought very nice hella tail lights from a junkyard for 10 euros :)

Plastic covers also included..

Tomorow i will post some new photos from the work since i didn't have time to attach them cuz i am searching for parts i need

Back to the top
Ok. New engine arrived.

1,8 8V DIGIFANT II PF and it has only 60 000km
happy for my new engine.

till the next update…cheerz :)

Back to the top
Nice one mate. Good luck swapping engines :)

Back to the top
thanks mate :) looking forward to it :) i am wondering something. The ECU it is from 16v (when i google it) and i am not sure if it's gonna fit this engine (since this is 8v) what do you think?

Back to the top
I am not 100% but I think it will fit. Rubjonny is the wiring and electrics guru on the forum. Send him a PM.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Good news :) i've bought digifant 2 ecu and i am selling the 16v jetronic :) if someone needs it's here :) low price :)

also bought new Body floor Full section, vw golf mk3 gti seats front and back.
Wide rims 14" custom made 7j (i think it's enough) i am looking for tyre dimensions now.. what are you suggesting?

Also i need 2 parts for the engine: MAF sensor and the ignition sensor module. Can anyone help about other car/engines fitment? i can't find them here :/

Back to the top

smudger said

I am not 100% but I think it will fit. Rubjonny is the wiring and electrics guru on the forum. Send him a PM.  :thumbs:

Can you pass me his profile to send him a PM about wiring questions? i am not good at forum searches :)

Back to the top

MKD_Mk1 said

smudger said

Can you pass me his profile to send him a PM about wiring questions? i am not good at forum searches :)

CLICK ME

There you go mate :)

Back to the top
Thanks mate :) contacted ;)

Back to the top
Looks really nice man :)Going for a respray?

'87 Mk1 Cabby.
MK5 Golf Daily.

Instagram - woahnowboys
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.