Skip navigation

Wale's 1991 Black Golf Clipper - Auto

Back to the top
Right, picked up her up today on the back of a transporter!

Attachment
IMG_0530.JPG
122 views (3 Mb)
Attachment
IMG_0531.JPG
100 views (3 Mb)
Attachment
IMG_0528.JPG
298 views (3 Mb)

Basically its been sat on a driveway for 2 years without being started or anything so this was a bit of a punt from ebay for £500.

It turned out to be an awesome deal. It literally has no rust anywhere. Just before it was parked up the guy fitted a brand new mohair hood (Which hasn't leaked!) and new Pirelli P6000's all round. Then it just sat untouched until now. The engine bay is looking pretty sorry for itself with plenty of surface rust over parts but hopefully she will start up after changing a few serviceable parts. The whole car is covered in spider and algae but I think she'll come up well after a damn good clean.

There's no service with the car unfortunately but I have all the old tax disks and a fair few MOT's which seems to suggest the 80k mileage is genuine.

Let me know what you think.

Back to the top
I've never tried to start a car before thats been sat that long but today I bought the following parts ready to put on.

Fuel & Air Filter
Quantum Synta 10w40 & Filter
Sump Plug & Seal
Dizzy Cap & Rotor Arm
G11 Coolant
Bosch Spark Plugs and HT Leads

Is there anything else I should change or check? Does the auto gearbox need checking?

Also, how do I go about draining the old fuel which I guess will be no good now? Just siphon it out through the filler cap?

Back to the top
I think we covered most things you need to look out for here - http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=newbies_2%2Funtitled_85

Ref the fuel, taking the bottom hose off the tank would be the easiest way, from memory there's an anti-siphon thing at the bottom of the filler neck.

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

I think we covered most things you need to look out for here - http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=newbies_2%2Funtitled_85

Ref the fuel, taking the bottom hose off the tank would be the easiest way, from memory there's an anti-siphon thing at the bottom of the filler neck.

Thanks Andy, I didn't know if I should be changing the ATF fluid?

Back to the top
I would, it's the sort of thing that gets forgotten but probably not essential for your first starting of the car ;)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
I was watching it on eBay 

Timing belt 

Vw golf 1980 cab (girlfriend's)
Vw T25 1.9dg auto hi-top autohomes camper
Alfasud 1.5ti green cloverleaf
Alfa 155 2.0 16v
Alfa 155 Q4 lhd 1 for 13 in uk
Alfa 155 2.5td lhd the only 1 in uk

Back to the top

alfachris said

I was watching it on eBay 

Timing belt 

Sorry Chris!

You've got a great selection of cars by the way. Are you after another Cabby then?

Back to the top
Right well, some fresh oil and petrol and it started up on the button!

The engine bay looks pretty grim but will try and clean it up as much as possible. The brake servo looks particularly corroded.

I think there must be a leak from the exhaust manifold as there's exhaust fumes escaping from the engine bay somewhere.

Anyway its under way! :thumbs:
Attachment
IMG_0549.JPG
122 views (1.64 Mb)
Attachment
IMG_0551.JPG
78 views (2 Mb)
Attachment
IMG_0550.JPG
116 views (1.60 Mb)

Back to the top
Good news on the start-up  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Good news on the start-up  :thumbs:

Cheers, seems to run pretty smooth. The oil light is flashing on the dash even though obviously its full. Would that be a faulty sensor do you think?

Back to the top
Do a quick search - common problem with MK1's so you'll find the answers no problem - there may even be something in the 'How-To' section?

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Making some good progress now.

I've installed a new radiator, expansion bottle and fan. Oil & coolant, spark plugs, radiator switch and dizzy cap replaced. Runs spot on now.

Radiator cowling had rusted pretty badly so after a few hours of sanding and some fresh paint its looking better.

It's in this week for some work to get it through the MOT. It failed on two broken springs & perished front inner CV boots so i've decided to pickup a set of coilovers and new driveshafts so hopefully it will hope a years ticket before the end of the week.

IMG_0674.JPG IMG_0676.JPG IMG_0678.JPG

Back to the top
Replaced the main headlights with some OEM Hella ones and also restored the grille to a really good finish with some new products i'm trying out to restore the plastics.

I've also started to replace some of the red badges!

IMG_0655.JPG IMG_0659.JPG IMG_0651.JPG

Back to the top
Finally got round to replacing the red P-Slots. I've used FK wheel adapters, 25mm at the front and 35mm at the rear.

The Porsche Design 90's are 7J fronts and 8J rears.

IMG_0778.JPG IMG_0780.JPG IMG_0781.JPG IMG_0787.JPG IMG_0788.JPG IMG_0789.JPG

Back to the top
Looks really good now. 
Yep I've got some cars/projects

I was wanting a golf mk1 gti or a Alfasud 1.5ti. I've just got a rust Alfasud yesterday and I'm getting another one next month that needs the front inner wings and osf chassis leg to front panel welding plus a set for headlight. This has been sitting in a garage for 10 years

Vw golf 1980 cab (girlfriend's)
Vw T25 1.9dg auto hi-top autohomes camper
Alfasud 1.5ti green cloverleaf
Alfa 155 2.0 16v
Alfa 155 Q4 lhd 1 for 13 in uk
Alfa 155 2.5td lhd the only 1 in uk
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.