Skip navigation

1983 Lhasa Gti, Welding in new axle mounts, lots of pics.!!

Back to the top

New axle mounts welded in with pictures..

Hi all I picked up a 1983 Lhasa green gti for £800. She is not bad inside and out, but needed a little work to axle mounts underneath, I have always been into cars and mechanics (all self taught) And decided to go ahead and do this project myself knowing I would be more chuffed to be able to say I did that.. So i ordered some repair panels and sills from VWHeritage and got her up on the ramps and started to cut away the rust to see what I had to work with and then treated the rest of the area with Kurust and then Acid Etch primer then a nice coat of Red Oxide, I then trimmed new repair panel to fit welded it in and treated with Acid Etch a Top coat and Underseal with Waxoil. Here are some pics, from start to finish, now got to start the other side.  All comments are welcome, Thanks. C:\fakepath\image.jpg C:\fakepath\image.jpg C:\fakepath\image.jpg C:\fakepath\image.jpg C:\fakepath\image.jpg C:\fakepath\image.jpg C:\fakepath\image.jpg C:\fakepath\image.jpg

Back to the top
Nice tidy job mate!! Brings back memories for me seeing this.

Here's what mine were like on both sides lol

Back to the top
Done a bit more over last couple of days including inner arch repair and sill repair.. C:\fakepath\image.jpg C:\fakepath\image.jpg C:\fakepath\image.jpg C:\fakepath\image.jpg C:\fakepath\image.jpg

Back to the top
Tidy work Dave ;) Even with that rot, £800 is an absolute bargain I reckon for that!

What's the car like mechanically and interior wise?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Aside that welding, looks like a great car for the money!

Back to the top
Nice repair on the new axle mounts, such a common problem.

Mine looked similar to Melteddrummers' too. :( 

Back to the top
Nice job.  My moto is, if it doubt, cut it out! :lol:

Back to the top
Thanks for responses, Mechanical's are great we drove it home on trade plates, pulls very well. Interior is good and original but worn, But i do have an absolutely mint correct interior with uncut parcel shelf from a 60tho mile mk1 golf.. Did a bit more welding tonight. Pics to follow.

Back to the top
Soon be sorted then  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Welded inner arch up, then Etch primed, top coat and 3M Underseal.. Had a little bit of tin worm at bottom of susspension liner but soon found out was a bit more than surface rust…lol.. So back out with the grinder cut out and replaced.. This side is nearly finished… C:\fakepath\image.jpg C:\fakepath\image.jpg C:\fakepath\image.jpg C:\fakepath\image.jpg

Back to the top
Tidy job, it's amazing how many holes can be lurking under the sealant!

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
C:\fakepath\image.jpg Another pic, this side is nearly there now..

Back to the top
Nice project, and looks like you know what you're doing  :thumbs:

good luck
matt

Back to the top
Been and started on the other side now, coming along nicely. Going to re underseal rear half of car once done and move towards the front, not much to do up front but is easier now while in the air.. Also going to make up new brake lines, and C:\fakepath\image.jpg C:\fakepath\image.jpg C:\fakepath\image.jpg C:\fakepath\image.jpg C:\fakepath\image.jpg overhaul rear axle and bushes..

Back to the top
Been busy on rear axle and brakes, I have wire wheeled the axle and painted with Chassis Black paint. I then disassembled the brakes cleaned and parts that where to be reused and painted back plates with chassis black. Then fitted new Cylinders, pads and springs.. Also have new drums to fit.. Anyone know a good place to get new axle mounts as VWHeritage are out of stock.. Also my anti roll bar is heavily worn at the ends… Anyway here is some progress pics with. Before and After shots..Can't wait to get car back on its wheels… C:\fakepath\image.jpg C:\fakepath\image.jpg C:\fakepath\image.jpg C:\fakepath\image.jpg C:\fakepath\image.jpg

Attachment
118 views (1003 Kb)

Back to the top
Looking good!

I used chassis black spray paint on a friends hanging basket brackets of all things! lol I was impressed at how well that paint goes down and such a good finish!

Ref the beam mounts, tough one as they seem hard to get but give Mark a shout funk-star

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Tut tut tut.
Should of got your panels from www.classic-vw.co.uk  :lol:

I have new rear beam bushes and also mounts that's have been powder coated. + just about anything else you could need 

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
Can't find. Www.Classic-vw.co.uk ? But did some more work today. And my friend pictured brought a cabby to go with his 1980 tintop gti. .  C:\fakepath\image.jpg C:\fakepath\image.jpg C:\fakepath\image.jpg C:\fakepath\image.jpg

Back to the top
You can't find the site? Just type the web address in lol

If you can't find the bushes then I don't think they are listed. I do have stock tho

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
It's ok I was putting .com not .co.uk, did u say you have axle mounts?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.