Skip navigation

1980 series 1 20vt build

Back to the top
well this is my first mk1 build, wanted one for a long time and finally went and picked one up from gatehead on the 2nd of feb it was a birthday present to myself from the day before :lol:im used to mk2's and this was the rallye i build a few years back and sold 2 years ago

anyway, heres the mk1 i bought, it was engineless, and the bay was partly "smoothed " ( if your blind and have no hands )

car was full of parts ive no idea whats whats but ill sus it

got the car off the recovery truck and it had a mix match of wheels on it so first thing i did was put some steelies on so it wasnt an eye sore lol

the plates are going to come off,

Last edit: by Neil20vt

Back to the top
awesome! what colour is it gonna be?

Back to the top
not really decided on the colour yet , but its going to be old skool

Back to the top
niceee

Back to the top
so i had 2 days spare holiday left at work so whacked em in so i could get her stripped
i wont lie ive been flapping about stripping it right back to a bare shell, but once i got the dash out that took all of 10 mins, and i saw the loom i thought arr its not that bad ill manage lol

so flap over i cracked on, making sure i got lots of pics to look back on for the rebuild

and thats where im upto, see what the weather is like tommorrow

Back to the top

projectgolf said

niceee
lol cheers mate

Back to the top
Hi Niel, sure i've seen your rallye at shows, awesome car.

Mk1 looks a good base, someone has definately 'had at' the bay but i'm sure you'll sort it

Olly

Back to the top

olethalb said

Hi Niel, sure i've seen your rallye at shows, awesome car.

Mk1 looks a good base, someone has definately 'had at' the bay but i'm sure you'll sort it

Olly

cheers olly, yeah i used to go to most shows with it , never showed it tho as was my daily driver, it came to me pretty much the same way this has tbh lol

yeah that bays gonna take some rectifying

Back to the top
Hi Neil

Your rallye looks amazing, engine, wheels, colour, all spot on  :thumbs:

Mk1 looks like a great base to begin with, nice small light rear panel too. Best of luck with it, if it's half as good as the rallye your on a winner  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
gonna watch this love series 1's

Back to the top
thanks for the comments
, just won an engine crane on ebay , so picking that up tommorrow so i can get the engine lifted up that way
 i can work around it and get rid of the stuff i dont need

this is how engines sitting at the mo

Back to the top
Cheeky AGU  :thumbs:

Back to the top
even better.  a cheeky aum :thumbs:

Back to the top
Haha ah yes, didn't zoom in on the coilpack.  :$  

Staying k03s?

Back to the top
lol, , yeah just a map at the mo i think,

Back to the top
well was a sunny day today so thought id get the engine on the crane in the drive and get the engine stripped of the junk thats not needed
so things that got binned off was

power steering pump
aircon pump
aux belt
main loom
fuel evap system ( need a blanking plate now )
old engine and gearbox mounts
engine loom was taken off for when i decide who,s doing to do it

engines looking alot better already now its been stripped of the rubbish, ill be stripping it down further so i can clean it all down and paint the block and parts
gearbox will also be coming off, cleaned and painted

heres what came off today

Back to the top
decided im going to have the shell stripped , which comprisses of 7 stages

Stage 1 - Thermal clean - The controlled thermal process removed all paint and contamination eg underseal from components without any damge stress or warping.

Stage 2 - Rinse - Components are rinsed with high pressure cold water to remove all traces of paint and contamination

Stage 3 - Derust - Parts are immersed in a mild de-rusting solution to remove all corrosion and oxidisation without damage.

Stage 4 - Rinse = Hot water neutralising rinse - removing all traced of derust solution.

Stage 5 - Coated = A high specification phosphate is applied to the surface which provides rust inhibition.

Stage 6 - Dry - Parts are low baked to completely remove all moisture from inside cavities, sills etc.

Stage 7 - Protect - A neutralising water based seal is applied to prevent flash rusting and improving paint adhesion.

Back to the top
Awesome. That Mk2 Rallye looks so aggressive like it wants to eat you alive! Such a wicked presence! Love the colour, you must have spent some tiime and money to get it to that standard? If that is anything to go by, cant wait to see what you will do to the Mk1. What look/ colour you going for? Is it gonna be a show car? Good luck mate!

Back to the top
Strong plans Neil, i assume the strip n dip isn't cheap :)

Back to the top

Jasvinder Singh said

Awesome. That Mk2 Rallye looks so aggressive like it wants to eat you alive! Such a wicked presence! Love the colour, you must have spent some tiime and money to get it to that standard? If that is anything to go by, cant wait to see what you will do to the Mk1. What look/ colour you going for? Is it gonna be a show car? Good luck mate!

cheers mate , yeah spend some time and money on it , i got it engineless, pretty much how this has come to me, , built it and run it in its original colour for a while, then went for a bare metal respray in bmw olive green, which suited to a tee imo , , not really sure on the colour of the mk1  at the mo, i did toy with doing a berg cup, but maybe ill do one at a later date, and no , itll be a daily driver , what they was built for, like my rallye was , here's a few of the rallye when i got it , and a few of it at different stages

when i took delivery

original colour with the 20v fitted

and the rallye show 2010 where it took best paint, not bad for a daily lol

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.