Skip navigation

'Arny' 1983 Golf C 1.1 Restoration.

Back to the top
Hi. After leaving the VW word last year selling my Mk3's and my Bora I'm back, this time with a 1983 Mk1 Golf C 1.1 3 door. I plan on doing a full restoration so this will be a slow one.

body work wise its pretty good, needs a drivers door, boot lid and a few other bits.

runs nice, i drove it around the yard.

http://vid1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/murrayminf/MOV_0035_zpsmwtyaffk.mp4

it was last on the road in 2001 and has been sat in a barn, put some fresh full init and and and battery pack and id fired up!! milage on the clocks is 33k but it has no history only the v5 so not sure if that is genuine.

Back to the top
So I have had three sessions on the golf now, now a few hours at a time, but making progress. So far I have taken both doors off and stripped them down. Taken all the seats and carpets out. Stripped the back out. Taken the bumpers lights and grill off, and started stripping the engine bay ready for engine removal. Here's a load of photos for you to enjoy.

all original glass apart from the drivers window.

these speakers have been fitted, to fit them someone has cut the doors, so will have to repair the doors and get new door cards.

This is the runner between the two pieces of glass in the drivers door, I think that this rust may be a link to the non-original glass inn the drivers door.

in two minds wheather or not to keep these.

Are these pin stipes original?

thats as far as I've got. comments welcome.

thanks for looking
Josh

Back to the top
That should keep you busy for a while Josh!!

My GTI had those protectors behind the door handles when I bought it 14 odd years ago. They came off though, wasn't a fan of them myself, but it's personal preference really if you keep them. Some may say it's a nice, period mod ;)

So will you be staying standard on this one or going modified?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

That should keep you busy for a while Josh!!

My GTI had those protectors behind the door handles when I bought it 14 odd years ago. They came off though, wasn't a fan of them myself, but it's personal preference really if you keep them. Some may say it's a nice, period mod ;)So will you be staying standard on this one or going modified?
Yes it will lol.  It's going to be as close to original as I can get it. I'd love to put an abf in it but I feel it will be worth more in the future with the original engine. I also have motorbikes for my speed fix!!.

As for the protectors on the door handles. I don't like them, but if they were fitted from new I feel that I should leave them on. I'll see how I feel about them when I rebuild the car.

Back to the top
Yeah keep it standard, well that's my take - I'm an originality geek! lol

The handle protectors would have been an aftermarket thing - of the period - so no issue if you leave them off.

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

The handle protectors would have been an aftermarket thing - of the period - so no issue if you leave them off.

Well your moving this project on at a cracking rate Josh!  :lol:

Just to add to what Andy said above. 
To my knowledge and memory they did not come fitted from VW. 
I was selling them at the time and I don't even remember even having such an item as a main dealer fit but who knows. 

Again I'm with Andy on keeping the car 100% standard but there's always a but….

Let's be honest we love these cars to death but we have to or at least most of us do, consider the investment side of things. 

Am I looking to make a profit? 
No.

But one day I will sell mine or my Son will inherit it.
I do want a reasonable return on my investment. 

Last point but there's nothing to stop you customising the car in order to personalise it to you as I have done. 

I have sourced a range of extras from all over the world which could have been fitted to mine at the time. 

All 'within year'.
I guarantee you there's not another Cabby anywhere in the world today with the same spec as mine! 

Food for thought I hope, good luck with the project and please keep us updated!  :thumbs:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

I was thinking of polishing them and refitting them. But I'm leaning more towards leaving them off.

Back to the top
Ok it... This is the thread

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top

allana13 said

Ok it… This is the thread

Have done some more since the last post. Really need to update this!

Engine is out all running gear is off the front end.

Need to buy two front wings then I can fit the new front valance .

Will try and get some pictures up soon

Back to the top
Little update. Engine is out, and so is most of the drive train, its nearly a bare shell. I have also started shot blasting. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

new panels!!

its now got his German cousin for company

Back to the top
Nice workshop you have man...

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top

Golf Cabrio said

Hairyarse said

Well your moving this project on at a cracking rate Josh!  :lol:

Just to add to what Andy said above. 
To my knowledge and memory they did not come fitted from VW. 
I was selling them at the time and I don't even remember even having such an item as a main dealer fit but who knows. 

Again I'm with Andy on keeping the car 100% standard but there's always a but….

Let's be honest we love these cars to death but we have to or at least most of us do, consider the investment side of things. 

Am I looking to make a profit? 
No.

But one day I will sell mine or my Son will inherit it.
I do want a reasonable return on my investment. 

Last point but there's nothing to stop you customising the car in order to personalise it to you as I have done. 

I have sourced a range of extras from all over the world which could have been fitted to mine at the time. 

All 'within year'.
I guarantee you there's not another Cabby anywhere in the world today with the same spec as mine! 

Food for thought I hope, good luck with the project and please keep us updated!  :thumbs:

Cheers! Yh I think I'm going to leave them off.

The plan is to keep it standard to start with, but most probably start doing reversible modifications.

Back to the top

allana13 said

Nice workshop you have man…

Thanks! I go halfs with my mate to save on rent. Something I've wanted since I was a kid!

Back to the top
So after stopping this project for two years I'm back! I bought a house so had no money or motivation, but now I do, kind of. So here's a little update.

Since you last saw arny I've taken out the glass, dash and loom. I've cut the front valance off and test fitted the new one, and currently I'm cleaning up the engine bay and front inner wings.

There should now be a weekly update on this build.

Cheers!!

Back to the top
Nice 1

How did you replace the inner wings mate ?

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top

allana13 said

Nice 1

How did you replace the inner wings mate ?

The inner wings are original, I've just wire wheeled and then primed them, they where virtually rust free

Back to the top
Finished wire wheeling the front end and primed it.

Got a few bits of welding to do in the bay but I'll come back to that, next job is attacking the sills

Back to the top

'Arny' 1983 Golf C 1.1 Restoration.

Tidy job. Another big tick off the list

I like the E36 lurking in the corner. Next project?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.