Skip navigation

I'm new!

Back to the top
Hello!

New here to the group! I'm Amanda and I currently own a Mk1 Golf GTI :)

:)

Back to the top
Hi Amanda,

I'm also Amanda, welcome to the forum! :)

Any pics of your GTI?

'83 Formel E aka Oreo!

Banner

Back to the top

I'm new!

Welcome Amanda,
Any pics of your car?
Lots of knowledge in here so have a trawl around the site.

Enjoy

Chortle

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Welcome ..I`m new here too .. I`m not an Amanda though! atleast not in the week  O_o

Back to the top
Hi everyone! :)
Nice to meet another Amanda, I don't meet many Amanda's haha!

Yeah I'm going to post a couple of pictures up once I have a read on how to upload it.

No doubt I'll be bombarding you all with a few questions on the golf soon!!

Back to the top
Welcome Amanda, now come on lets see it then! 
The suspense is killing us.  :thumbs:

Sent from my mobile phone. 

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Here she is everyone. :)The last photograph is of mine and my boyfriends gti, who is already a member. I've only had the golf a couple of months so its still a working progress. photo 53c35af6-5e13-4bed-ae93-22ba3f2b0c4c_zpsjfmodqhu.jpg photo 20151008_182443_zpsv2pvnoda.jpg photo September 2015 1184_zps2vtbso4u.jpg

Back to the top
His & Hers matching cars, has to be a Club first??  Can't decide which one I like best, both wheels are on my favourites list.

Think your car wins it as it's got the number plate fitted properly!

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top

I'm new!

Very nice cars.
Do they need much work?
If any?

Back to the top
A first for everything :) I think theres only about 6 months between them both!

Aha thankyou! I won't tell him that!
They both have been to a german classic car show together earlier this year, planning to do a lot more next year :)

Back to the top
Thankyou chortle!

Well mine needs a couple of things, change the grill for a start. I've got the original cream door cards in, but my seats are black leather. So I'm planning on taking the door cards out and replacing with black leather to match.

Back to the top

I'm new!

You can get leather/vinyl paint.  (Aerosol) Preparation is the key though. Most auto paint suppliers should be able to provide. SEM is a good one to use. I redid my leather steering wheel with some.  Also did my seats in the Rivage.
Came up a treat.

Back to the top
photo 20151008_182546_zpsb2icx52b.jpg photo 20151008_182556_zps8qke33te.jpg I didn't know you could do that. Thanks for the tip. I've got a question about my golf. My roof has some marks on, I've washed it and they still won't budge. I'm not really sure what I can use. I use Meguairs for my leather, so not sure whether they do a range for roofs. Any ideas?

Back to the top

I'm new!

Roofs need to be washed with a simple soap. You can buy soap flakes, mix in hit water. Apply and use a bristle brush. I have a soft one that you use on mushrooms. A harsh one will pull at the material and make it look awful. Rinse well,  allow to dry.
Then apply the treatment to help keep it watertight.

I recommend 303 aerospace for fabric or Ragg Topp they are the best you can get.
In tests the aerospace one faired better. These roofs only have a finite life though.
Basically fabric tools are made up from 3 ply material. A backing fabric, rubber sheet core then the outer sheet. It's the rubber in the middle that really waterproofs it. However over the years if neglected the rubber deteriorates,  it's affected by sunlight and the elements. Once this happens replacement is the best option.  The top fabric is subject to wear and discolouration over the years via UVA light bleaching it. Hence the areaospace acts like a (sun cream) blocking the rays.
You can buy a colouring kit but in my opinion there more trouble than they are worth.  
I replaced loads of these tops. Doable once you get the proper gear.
Take a look at my build thread for my Rivage just go to the google search box top left of the site, type in "little bit of green paint"
That should pull it up.

How old is the roof?

Cheers

Chortle

Back to the top
Thanks for that. So do you reckon if I used the 303 aerospace it would budge those awful looking marks or do you reckon a new roof? Are they expensive?
I'm not too sure, I've only had the car a couple of months now so I don't have a lot of history, I think the guy who owned it replaced the roof not long ago.
Thanks i'll have a look at your thread. :thumbs:

Back to the top

I'm new!

Ok it depends on what the marks are.  If the simple soap flake (such as lux) them you could try the aerospace kits. They come with an appropriate cleaner too, as well as the waterproofer.
 So it's worth looking for a complete kit cleaner and proofer. Hopefully get any stubborn marks out.
It's tricky to tell from the photo.

One thing I've read and seen over the years is claims about roofs.
Roofs like new mate.
Just fitted mate, good condition apart from the rips mate.

What some people do is swap the complete frame mech it's self over if the hood is better that their old one. Trouble is you're still buying an old roof you don't have the history of.
Issue being unless they can give you a receipt for the purchase or from the fitter showing it's new, it's not worth squat in my opinion.

A replacement doesn't make it new.  One of the biggest problems folks don't realise is when buying a cabby is the roof.

To make it worse VW actually made 3 frames for the cabby.  So headliners are year dependant. Don't believe anyone who says otherwise. If you consider replacing that.

Roofs can be bought reasonable enough new.
But you need sundries such as HTC glue, rivets, washers,  new cables, staple gun, foam gasket seals. Silicone sealant.
Few tools etc.

Sure take a look at my build thread hopefully give you some ideas.

Cheers

Chortle

Back to the top
I'm not really sure what the marks are. Its really strange. I'm going to try the aerospace kit, see what I can do with it.

Yeah I see what you mean. Luckily I don't have any rips in (touch wood, fingers crossed none appear!), its just the exterior which doesn't look great.

Aahh I didn't realise that Volkswagon made 3 frames, sounds very tricky job. That's the only thing really that it needs. The rest has all been done previous to me buying.

I'll try the aerospace kit, will keep you posted if it works!!

Thanks for your help, really do appreciate it. :)

Back to the top
Amanda please be very careful and I'm sure 'Chortle' will agree. 
Do read the instructions very carefully and follow them to the letter. 

When you use the cleaner, do test it on a very small area to see what if any effect it has (positive or negative) .

Do let it dry and look closely before attacking the whole roof!   :thumbs:

Sent from my mobile phone. 

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top

I'm new!

Agreed mike.

Another thing is the material it's self. Some hood manufacturers use "English Mohair" although that's technically not correct.
The issue being the steadfastness of the colour.
When I looked at getting some hoods made. I asked about using the OEM spec material but was told they don't use it as it's expensive.
I'm not so sure the English spec is as good as I've seen fade on tops not much than a couple years old.

Back to the top
Thanks guys. I'm going to give it a whirl.
I've got a spare street ka roof which is just the same as the Golf with all the strange marks. I'll try it on that first. Fingers crossed! I'll get back to you and let you know my outcome :)

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.