Skip navigation

Tail Lamp Identification Request

Back to the top

Assistance please

Yes it is my first post and no, I do not have a Mk 1 Golf or GTI. I admit I like them, and have had friends with them, does that count? I post a lot of pics of cars to several different forums (Focus, Land Rover, Lotus amongst others…) and while looking on your fine site for Mk1 Golf/GTI pics the tail lamps jumped out at me.

I have had this decent set of tail lamps boxed in my garage since living in Buckingham in 1991. Being a confirmed petrol head I cannot discard an item unless 1-it belongs to an asian car (sorry, not keen on that area), 2- it is completely useless or broken beyond repair, or 3-it has something with more legs than I have living in/on it :-) Upon reviewing the set I have they appear to have a family resemblance but do not include reverse lamps as the Golfs have.  So, they aren't from your Mk1's but do have VW Audi symbols on the reverse and like most English folk, you 'do' know a lot and are more well traveled than my all too focused American counterparts so I hoped you'd have suggestions.

I hoped to find someone that really knows the marque that can identify what these are from so I can more directly find a home for them.  I always over think things so I imagine there is someone out there that needs these whilst I have a perfectly serviceable (not mint) set sitting idle. I would not mind shipping them across the pond either as I do this frequently.

Can anyone help me out?

Back to the top
Any suggestions where else might be a good place to ask? This is 'not' a for sale thread, I would appreciate if someone would cover postage on these should this be resolved but otherwise I am not looking to satisfy a monetary need here. Any ideas or comments are welcome. Also, I am making a donation to the site as soon as I post this.

Back to the top
Aren't they "Postie" rear lamps?

Back to the top
I love nicknames when I understand them, however this one I don't. After a search for posties I get little, there are a couple rabbit pics where the tail lamps look correct. Are we talking about standard Golf/Rabbits as opposed to GTI's?

Back to the top
I don't think they have an official name but if I remember correctly they were fitted to early MK1's with the small rear lamps and german postal vehicles hence the nickname posties.

Back to the top
Posties, makes perfect sense now. Early Mk1's then…Thanks very much.

I have a set available for no more than the postage, for future reference.

Back to the top
what did you want for them?

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
Sorry, someone has already spoken for them. That was quicker than I expected...
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.