Skip navigation

FREE MK1 Golf GTI 1.6 Gearbox

Back to the top

FREE MK1 Golf GTI 1.6 Gearbox - Southend

I owned a Y Reg 1.6 Golf GTI many years ago and loved it. I no longer have the car BUT I do have a spare gearbox…

At one point my car had problems selecting certain gears (2nd and 4th or 1st and 3rd) and the steering became dangerous. Not knowing better (and with limited time to take off work to deal with it), I prepared for the worst and started by acquiring a a gearbox from an X Reg Golf 1.6 GTI (smashed from the rear and an insurance write-off).

My local garage quickly discovered that my original gearbox was perfectly fine, the problem with gear selection and steering was due to a broken mount which was relatively easily replaced/fixed.

Due to distance, work, time and general embarrassment I never bothered taking the spare gearbox back for a refund.

Many years passed. One horrific day I crashed my beautiful golf and she went to scrap as my insurance wouldn't cover the repair.

15 Years on, I still have the spare gearbox. It's moved house with me once and I'm about to move house again. I'm not looking for cash, just someone who needs a gearbox for naught and a chance to extend the life of a classic MK1 GTI that's in need.

100% FREE to anyone who wants it.

Message me if interested. It's in Southend-On-Sea.

Jim.

Back to the top
Thanks for the kind offer Jim!  :thumbs:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Lol thanks jim I got 1.6 and I got the same problem it sometimes slips in to 2nd instead of 4th unless you hold the gear stick towards 4th was this the same problem as yours would be nice to know lol  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Doesn't sound exactly the same tbh. If I remember it right my problem was with a broken mount/bracket which left the steering rack and gearbox floating around rather than secured. Not sure if it's a known weakness with them but well worth double checking.

I'm no expert but worn gear stick linkages might be another thing to look into.

Good luck. Don't go rushing to find a gearbox just yet :)

Back to the top
Lol my steering seems fine it's just the gears, linkages look ok i didnt have 4th gear before but then it came back lol so I'm just waiting for the episode where it starts to go in to the right gear lmao  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Hey Simon

It's a 5 speed as far as I can tell. I saw the doner car it came from and it had lower mileage on it than mine. Possibly 90,000 ish. I trusted the breaker at the time and was very specific in checking the inside of the doner car to see the mileage. 
Your Caddy looks like a very worthy project for it. It's 'donated' as seen. I literally have no idea if it'll be a straight fit for your Caddy. It was never installed or tested in my car as I didn't need it at all and I've been storing it for the past 15 years. You are very welcome to it if you fancy a trip to Southend. 

Jim. 

Back to the top

Back to the top
Smashing, just had confirmation from my work mate that he can pick it up for me so I'll drop you a text to arrange when.
Thanks again
Simon
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.