Skip navigation

Ireland Tour 2016

Back to the top

26th - 28th August 2016

MKI GOLF 2.jpg MKI GOLF 2.jpg

This is a great weekend and has grown in mk1 numbers every year - some spectacular scenery and great roads and great cars!

A real fun day out in your mk1 golf cabriolet or tintop! Pack a picnic and take in the scenery.

More details to follow…

So is anybody up for it?

Last edit: by Shughy

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top

Ireland Tour 2016

We will be going along with Waterworx .
Probably plan to travel to Holyhead on the Thursday and get the Ferry Friday morning. Will also book a hotel in Dublin for Sunday evening and get the ferry back on the Monday.

Thanks for organising again Hugh !!

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Good stuff Ade - I think its a bank holiday in the UK on the monday? If so traffic might be a bit lighter for retrun crossings. I ocassionally get ferry offers by email if I do, I will post them up.

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Just a bump on this with a few picture thrown in… IMG_0764.JPG IMG_0764.JPG IMG_0764.JPG IMG_0764.JPG IMG_0764.JPG

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Travel to Ireland | Special Offers | Irish Ferries

Here is a ferry offer which might be of interest to anyone who wishes to travel over for our run in August. 20% discount. Ends Monday.  ;)

lhasadreams and Waterworx have booked.  :thumbs:

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Waterworx and myself are definitely going on this trip from the UK and are all booked up
Our plan is:
Thursday 25th August 2016
(1) Drive to Holyhead and stay here: Carreg Bran Church Lane Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, LL61 5YH, United Kingdom £90 - includes free parking and breakfast
Friday 26th August 2016
(2) Get the 8:00am ferry from Holyhead to Dublin.
(3) Drive to Kilkenny and check in to hotel organised by Hugh using the 2 nights b&b with one dinner rate.
Saturday and Sunday fun organised by Hugh :-)

Sunday 28th August 2016
(4) Drive to Dublin late afternoon and stay in the Maldrons Hotel,98-107 Pearse Street, Dublin, D2, Ireland, £117 a night, then night out in Dublin.
Monday 29th August 2016
(5) Catch the 8:05am ferry to Holyhead. Irish Ferries have a 20% saving deal on at the moment. I have just booked the ferry for two passengers and one car for £263.20 Travel to Ireland | Special Offers | Irish Ferries The deal runs until midnight Monday.
Here are my booking details:
355 views (169 Kb)

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Might be of interest - I think Stena line have a 'Flash' sale on ferry prices until WEDNESDAY midnight.  :thumbs:

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Currently 25% off IRISH FERRIES Sailing…

Might be owrth checking out.  :thumbs:

Ferry To Britain From Ireland and France | Ferries To UK | Irish Ferries

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Just finished this…

MKI GOLF 2.jpg MKI GOLF 2.jpg

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Get an Epic 25% off our motorist fares on Irish Sea sailings. Just book by April 21st and travel any day up to December 18th 2016. New bookings only.

Offer excludes 11:50 & 14:30 Swift sailings and 14:15 Epsilon sailings in July and August.

http://www.irishferries.com/ie-en/offers/fares-offers-britain-from-ireland/

Might be of interest if anyone heading to UK or coming across during the summer months.

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
A few pics from Kilkenny castle today where we will head off on our Tour of the South East in late August.

IMG_2196 (Copy).JPG IMG_2196 (Copy).JPG IMG_2196 (Copy).JPG IMG_2196 (Copy).JPG IMG_2196 (Copy).JPG IMG_2196 (Copy).JPG IMG_2196 (Copy).JPG IMG_2196 (Copy).JPG IMG_2196 (Copy).JPG

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Just a bump for this again - had a very productive meeting with VW Laharts this morning. They are only too delighted to host our friday meet with a few suprises linked in.

I'll be posting up a more detailed itinerary and route map after the AGM weekend at the end of July.

Only a few rooms left in the hotel so best be quick!  ;)

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
I just spent last week doing a tour, arrived in Belfast on the Monday, donegal, Galway, kenmare, full coastal route anticlockwise. Ring of kerry was excellent but I'm not too sure if I'd like to have done it in the mk1!
I'll keep a keen eye on this one and see if I can get myself over there. The pics from previous looked very good. 

Back to the top
Wow Craigt now that's a real road trip.  :thumbs:

That's like 4 mk1 Ireland tours in one. This year we are based in the south east of Ireland visiting Kilkenny Wexford and Waterford. The Saturday drive takes in all three counties. Lunch is planned for Hook Head which is a lighthouse built by William Marshall which is a lovely spot in sunshine and rain. Waves crashing in around the rocks etc.

We have a great weekend planned and if at the AGM touch base and I can fill you in.  :thumbs:

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Here is a few pics of hook head lighthouse…
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Shuggy, thats the only coastal area we didn't get to.   I know  little of the history beyond that's where the saying comes from 'by hook or by crook'.

It'll likely be a belfast crossing for me, should we decide to come along, but it's now looking more likely as my wife did enjoy the parts we did visit.  

We will be at the AGM :-) 2606 IMG_20160707_170433.jpg IMG_20160707_170433.jpg IMG_20160707_170433.jpg

It's a very scenic country that I will make more time for.

Back to the top
Ok just a little update from the hotel.

With effect from August 1st any remaining rooms not taken by mk1 owners club members will be realised back to the hotel to sell on to other guests.

There are a few other things on in Kilkenny that weekend so the hotel is very busy and can easily fill our vacant rooms which are on hold.

So you have about a week to get it booked. There are a few other alternatives with B&B's and a good campsite all just off the ring road around Kilkenny.

Hope that's ok with everyone?  :thumbs:

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Hi everyone,planning to head down from Armagh in my '83 black gti, sorting out hotel tomorrow, any other people from the north going?
Mal

Back to the top
Hi Mal hey that's great news to hear your GTI will be down in Kilkenny. Yes there are a few from NI who will be in attendance Oldschoolcool has booked the hotel and is trekking down on Friday. A few other NI guys have to firm up plans. 

Not many rooms left in the hotel. So best be quick. 

I'm at the owners club show in Stratford upon Avon this weekend so will have limited wifi but will touch base on return. My number is on the flyer above. 

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
No problem Hugh have a good time, Hotel has just double rooms left need a single so going to try a few b&bs
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.