Skip navigation

A579 GLX - Mk1 campaign on Ebay ! Do not waste you time

Back to the top
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/171842552258?nav=SEARCH

Just wasted a whole day going to see this MK1 in Southampton,  The owner runs a garage & mot station ,the car looks pretty good in the pics but is the flesh was a different story altogether, full of filler and paint has shrunk back badly over bad bodywork, scuttle and some panels did not allign properly etc , even though we still thought we would take a test drive , as soon as we accelerated the car started pulling left to right violently like a drunken mule under acceleration and deceleration , so obviously we asked the guy why it was pulling so bad and had he checked it (after all he is a the mot tester and a mechanic )had he noticed anything seriously wrong, he instantly switched and spat his dummy and said "it ain't no concourse car ", then started shouting don't worry about it its a scraper Ill just scrap it! , we thought he was having a nervous breakdown ! then we drove the car back and as soon as we got out he jumped in the drivers seat like a child and raced it to the back of his garage and left us there standing !!

The guy Pete owns the mot garage and has just claimed to have put a new mot on it , so to be honest we think when he realised we knew our mk1's and if we did continue with the sale and took it for a proper mot he would be in real trouble.

Ive owned 10 Mk1's and trust me - This car was dangerous !

Driving home I phoned his garage as I was furious at the way he acted and the guys wife answered the phone , could hear him mumbling something to her in the background , she then said we don't want to sell the car ,you people really pis**d him my husband off !!

Then being really rude said that they have had so much interest the are going to hold a sealed bid auction , what do they think they have !!

These are reasonably well off people !

Totally Immature , unprofessional idiots and con men !

Do not waste your time guys there is something really really dodgy.

Im so angry that people like this sleep at night let alone live with themselves and run a mot station !!!

Just had to name and shame these people  !

Back to the top
Good shout Sanj 👍

It god look good in the pics and I hope everyone reads this thread 😊

Back to the top
It seems any one selling a mk1 however bad thinks its worth a fortune, I am seeing the phrase " I know what its worth" far too often and its often not what its worth.

Back to the top
I was just looking at that on eBay a few minutes ago and having now seen this I won't bother ringing him!

1991 Black Sportline 1.8 GTI Cabby - gone

1983 Papyrus Green 1.5 Auto GL Cabby - gone

1984 Nevada Beige MK2 Golf 1.6CL LHD Auto - gone

1981 Schwartz Black MK1 Golf 1600 GTI - gone

Currently Mk1less!

Back to the top

abfmk1 said

It seems any one selling a mk1 however bad thinks its worth a fortune, I am seeing the phrase " I know what its worth" far too often and its often not what its worth.

Spot on and the other phrase is " how much do you think my cars worth, offers please " eh, no, put a price on the car !!

Lastly the " I'm not bothered if it sells or not " why sell it then ??

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

Spot on with that as well

Back to the top
Thanks for the shout, was considering a look myself, you have just saved me 4 hours, I owe you a drink at the AGM!

Also I will catch up with you on the phone bud, just flat out at mo and keep forgetting  :(

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top

abfmk1 said

Massbad69 said

Spot on with that as well

Omg heard that to many times !!! Bottom line is as a private individual I would never sell a unsafe car to even my worse enemy , this bloke is a mechanic and a mot tester ! 

Shocking !!! 

Back to the top
End of last year I sold my winter hack VW Golf 1.6s for £700.

Before I sold it I cleaned the outside of the car, the inside, the engine bay, the spare wheel well, topped up the fluids, cleaned down the sump, filled it with half a tank of petrol, organised the paperwork and it sold in 24hrs.

Buyer text me after and said it was his best buyer experience he had had and it was a pleasure dealing with me.

What hassle was it for me, none except for a couple of hours of graft.

Job done.

Back to the top
I see the car is no longer for sale on e bay
Andy

Back to the top
Did you catch his ebay name?

It was an anagram of 'Dodgy Charge Pete'.
What road in Southampton was it on may I ask?

Because from memory there's about 3 areas where you will find mostly ify ones if you get my drift!

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top

golfcabrio said

Because from memory there's about 3 areas where you will find mostly ify ones if you get my drift!

It was dodgechargerpete

Hope that helps 

1991 Black Sportline 1.8 GTI Cabby - gone

1983 Papyrus Green 1.5 Auto GL Cabby - gone

1984 Nevada Beige MK2 Golf 1.6CL LHD Auto - gone

1981 Schwartz Black MK1 Golf 1600 GTI - gone

Currently Mk1less!

Back to the top

golfcabrio said

LOL golfcabrio Damn right about his name - At least we all know were to get a dodgy MOT from !!!!! Dodgy Pete !!

Garage was called Copythorne Garage - Added to the Mk1 Wall of Shame

Back to the top
I think this is going to be more and more common as the prices of Mk1's are on the up. People are throwing together cars for a quick profit. :(

BTW there is a member called 'dodgechargerpete' on this forum.

Mk1 Golf floor mats - for tin top and cabriolet - Zero7796 17298Five

Back to the top
Can only be one person using that name, so he can see what members think of his car, and maybe his business, assuming he still visits.

Back to the top
Doesn't look like he's logged in for about 3 years.

Back to the top
I checked him out in the members area the other night as I remember his username from years ago.

Last edit: by Massbad69

Back to the top
very interesting…
i had a similar thing happen to me last year - end of May. Basically the car is totally genuine, original &  straight but needed TLC, Special Edition Quartet ( i owned a GTI cabby about 20 yr ago hence my purchase)

Seen a mk1 Cabby on eBay & thought i like the look of that… went through all the details etc, pics looked ok - with this i was a 4 hour drive away! South Wales to Chelmsford Essex.
somebody bid on it via eBay but didn't pay - i asked for 1st refusal which i got. Prior to this the car wasn't MOT'd & i said it would sell with this of course!
So i went up there to get it, the engine was warm - not a good sign, had a look over it & could see it was straight & original but needed tlc (woman was quite old who owned it)
Took it for a spin, seemed very flat, not very responsive & brakes were very tough!! amongst a few other things, worn scrapers, seat bolster damaged bottom & side, general wear & tear.
Bought it, drove it home (on tyres which were about 10 year old - i kid you not - Kwik Fit said oh we haven't done those tyres in about 10 years! Targa tyres) so when i heard this i thought i was lucky driving home on the M25 & M4 !!
Booked it in to my local garage, upon checking & costing £380!!!! the wrong spark plugs had been fitted, the brake caliper had seized, NS, the brake hoses had corroded & the NS shock absorber was leaking!!! yet no advisories on the MOT - a garage called AP Engineering in Essex did this & previous work on the car. Contacted them, spoke to a guy called Andy & said he would do this & do that.. tried calling him for about 4-6 weeks later & wouldn't answer my calls!!!
Anyway, my car is looking mint now, put loads of stuff new on there/replaced & it's not far from being finished. hope you find a nice one soon :ocf_emoticons__icon_lol:

Back to the top

SANJP said

golfcabrio said

LOL golfcabrio Damn right about his name - At least we all know were to get a dodgy MOT from !!!!! Dodgy Pete !!

Garage was called Copythorne Garage - Added to the Mk1 Wall of Shame

SANJP  
You know this has been bugging me for days but now I'm in Hospital I've had time to think about the name of the dealer. 

And guess what? 
I knew of a company by the same name going back even 30 years ago! 

Now I'm not saying for one minute it's the same one as I knew, nor the people who work there. 

But my memory can't give me details but it does give my gut a bad feeling if you get my meaning!  ;)

Back to the top
The Copythorne Garage prompted me to think of where this was in Southampton and if you look at the Wagen Wheels Website you will see it is the same Garage. This is a shame as I always thought of them as a genuine outfit with some good if not expensive cars.  I see their website has been updated.  http://www.wagenwheels.co.uk
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.