Skip navigation

1990 mk1 Golf Clipper Cabriolet, breaking

Back to the top
After months of trying to convince myself that it didn’t have to come to this I have finally accepted that I no longer have the time to see this project through to completion and there is now the likelihood of moving to a place that won’t have the space to properly store the project. Because of this I am now motivated to pass on all the more interesting parts I have acquired over the years, but this will be a limited time only offer as any large parts remaining before I move will have to be scrapped.

The project was meant to be an overall refresh and engine transplant, as the car was solid but somewhat unreliable. Here’s the car in its ‘prime’

For all but the smallest of items priority will be given to anyone willing to collect parts. I have tried to group similar items together, but please ask if there is anything specific you are looking for.

Body
1990 mk1 golf cabriolet shell. VIN and V5 available; new genuine VW front panel recently fitted (as it was deemed to be easier than fixing numerous small dents and ripples), very solid in all the usual problem areas, but the engine bay was in the process of being smoothed. The following parts are currently fitted, but could be sold separately if there is enough demand.
Electric power roof
Doors
Boot hatch
Glass
£75

Clipper kit and front wings. Complete but would benefit from a respray, the only notable damage is to the rear inner arch plastic liner which was cut where it should join to the side skirts, see picture, I suppose it could be repaired but it always functioned and looked fine when fitted to the car. Should have all clips etc. £40 SOLD

Bumper bars. Professionally powder coated in black with slight metallic finish. £25 SOLD

Engine Bay
20VT engine and gearbox mounts, brought from VWCaddy.com, sold as set including the original front and rear mounts. Professionally powder coated in black with slight metallic finish. Comes with new genuine VW rubber inserts and bug pack poly bushes. £100 SOLD

Big block engine mount and 5 speed gearbox mount. Original big block engine mount and 5 speed gearbox mount with original inserts in good condition. £20

Weber carb. Comes mounted on inlet manifold, was tuned after it was installed and gave great performance and economy, I also have a cold air manifold, not pictured, it’s not the prettiest part but functions very well. £50

Wheels
Space saver spare wheel, plenty of tread on tyre. £10

BBS RJ wheels. 4x100 6.5jx15 ET33 with centre caps. I believe these originally came off a Corrado G60. Fitted with 195/50/15 Falken ZE512 tyres with plenty of life left on all of them. £150 SOLD

Brakes/Suspension/Steering
Vauxhall front brake calipers with 256mm Brembo disks, plenty of life left in the pads and disks, but would need a skim to remove surface rust. Comes with original Vauxhall hoses and custom stainless steel tophat bushes to allow direct installation. £30 SOLD

Rear beam. Professionally powder coated in black with slight metallic top coat, modified to use ‘P’ clips to secure brake lines. Bug Pack poly bushes included and installed. £50 SOLD

Mk2 golf rear disk conversion stub axles, disks and calipers (brought as reconditioned items shortly before the car was taken off the road).  The pads and disks where performance items, but can’t recall what brand. £30 SOLD

Original front uprights for 100mm driveshafts including hubs. Will require new wheel bearings. £50

100mm drive shafts. Professionally powder coated in black with slight metallic top coat, will supply with original CV joints which have been cleaned and re-greased, but the boots have been misplaced. £50

Front ARB, includes all mounting brackets and BugPack poly bushes for control arm. £25 SOLD

Rear ARB, includes mounting brackets and BugPack poly bushes for stock ARB, but will require new clamp and outer bushes £25 SOLD

Steering rack. The housing was smoothed by removing the gearbox linkage mounts, perfect if converting to 02J gearbox, then cleaned and painted, before being rebuilt with 2 adjustable Lemforder track rods, new track rod ends and new genuine VW boots. Supplied with mounting brackets and BugPack poly bushes. £25

Steering column and pedal box. £10

Misc
Wiper linkage and arms. The linkage has been stripped, cleaned and re-greased. The wiper motor was changed to a modern Polo item which greatly increased the ability to keep the screen clear. The arms are in good condition, but the finish has started to peel. £10

Fuel tank with lift pump and sender £10
Rotisserie £20
Badgeless grill £10
Rear lights £10

Last edit: by esSEXY

Back to the top
Hi there I'm after a inner plastic from inside the front wing and was also wondering if it's a manual carb or auto if it's auto will you hold it till Friday for me

Cheers
dave

Back to the top
Sorry but I'm not looking to split the clipper kit just yet, in fact I'd rather sell stuff cheaply as a set than be left with an assortment of parts. The car was a 1.8 with 5 speed manual gearbox, I'm not sure how this would relate to the carb, but let me know if your still interested.

Back to the top
I don't need any of the kit i just need the inner arch

Back to the top
Don't suppose you're selling the headlights and rubber b pillar seals?

Back to the top
Petrol Tank and Sender please. Where are you actually based?
cheers
des

Back to the top
I should have mentioned above, the parts are available for collection from Preston (PR2 postcode)

I have both smoke crosshair headlights, but one is cracked so I assumed they are worthless. I have most of the seals still fitted on the shell so I guess I would have them

The fuel tank was sent away to be professionally treated but came back with some internal coating that has locked the filler flap when it set. You might be able to have the coating stripped as the insides look very clean under the coating. If your still interested let me know.

Colin

Back to the top
Please ring me on 07557914692 or send me your number. Might do a deal on job lot. Thanks . Paul

Back to the top
Paul if you get this as a job lot let me know ill be interested in carb and those boot card/cover things

Scott

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner

Back to the top

Dessie66 said

Petrol Tank and Sender please. Where are you actually based?
cheers
des

Back to the top
do you still have the seats and if so, what condition are they in?

Back to the top
Hi - would you have a cream carpet, rear parcel shelf and side carpet strips?

Back to the top
Reddood, Peterwyeth:
Sorry I dont have any interior parts left here.

Cabfan:
I've sent you a txt.

Back to the top
Did you receive my PM?

Back to the top
Have you got a brake fluid reservoir for sale?

Back to the top
hi do you still have the drive shafts for sale? is there any chance you could find out what the postage/carriage to suffolk would be please?

Back to the top
Sorry, not got a brake reservoir.

Still have the driveshafts, PM inbound.

Back to the top
Hi I am looking for the badges, I have the vw ones its the other two I am looking for the golf one and the cabriolet one, also previous owners kids I think have picked out the round bit on the back window winders both sides, thanks

Back to the top
Im after the small round vw from the rear if you have one ? Cheers

Back to the top
hi, are you still selling bits from the cabby? If you are could I buy it, including the front cross member.

Many thanks Sean

CAMPAIGN-HELIOS BLUE-POSSIBLY SEEN IT ON CHRIS BARRIES(RIMMER IN RED DWARF) MASSIVE SPEED PROGRAMME?!!!

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.